Mandalorian & Grogu movie announced

Unfortunately skeptical about how this will turn out, after the last few TV seasons. I'd much rather have had Rogue Squadron or a number of the other vaporware projects.
Yeah extremely skeptical here.

I mean, Favreau has done good movies, maybe he's more suited to movies than TV? Let's hope. Trouble is I don't give a single solitary sod about Mando or, sorry little guy, Grogu, at this point. Mando is a bore, Grogu is somehow kind of a jerk and also not very interesting.

They'd need to do a really wild plot to get me actually interested, I suspect, like over-the-top crazy Star Wars stuff that is going to obviously permanently change both characters, rather than what I suspect we will get - a low-grade faux-Western.

Zardnaar

Legend
I liked the liw grade faux western. No more duper weapons and restrained use of the force please.

Kinda odd this one's jumped the line after the Rey/Ahsoka movie.

Leaning towards the Rey one is dead/believe it when I see it. And wait and see on the Ahsoka one.

Rogue Squadron or Knights of the Old Republic have the most potential imho.

pukunui

Legend
Rogue Squadron or Knights of the Old Republic have the most potential imho.
Rogue Squadron already got nixed so not really much potential there.

There’s been some talk of an Old Republic
movie, but I think a High Republic movie (or series) is more likely at this point.

So is this movie advancing to post Episode 9? Din Djarin is an old man and Grogu is a teen: mobile, talkative, and even more of a jerk. Time for voice casting.

My audition: "when in Begger's Canyon I was, used to target wamp rats, I did".

I liked the liw grade faux western. No more duper weapons and restrained use of the force please.
The problem is that it's a faux-Western - Favreau completely lost the actual "Western" aspects of the show after S1 (hell, he didn't even make it to the end of S1 with them intact), and I don't believe for one hot second he'd be able to get them back in any way that matters for a movie, especially not after how bad he screwed up Boba Fett (which I still kind of like for being so dumb, but it's pretty dumb). More likely he'd use the Western aesthetic, but totally fail to get at the core of what makes Westerns work, and just end up making a boring movie with no real emotional impact. Low-grade is purely negative too - there's nothing good about it.

Also, let's be real - if Grogu is in it, "restrained use of the force" is already completely out the window. His powers get more prodigious pretty much every episode.
Knights of the Old Republic
100% won't happen any time soon. It got nixed long ago, Laeta Kalogridis was working on it.

More importantly, Disney has appropriated the Old Republic aesthetic and vibe (but not lore) for the High Republic stuff, which is set more like 150-30 years before the PT. There's a High Republic TV show in progress already (The Acolyte). It wrapped shooting middle of 2023 and will be out this year.
Leaning towards the Rey one is dead/believe it when I see it.
I'd say that latter applies to all SW movies, very much including this one. Disney cannot be trusted to actually complete a Star Wars project until after it starts shooting, and even then they might mess with it. None of the upcoming movies, including this one, have started shooting nor are they close.

Note that if you actually click the link to the article, the Rey one is specifically mentioned, and the article is on the official Disney website, so as of right now, Disney definitely doesn't think it's dead. It's when they strategically stop mentioning something that it's safe to assume it's dead rather than merely "unlikely" as all SW movies are under Disney. Some may be pleased to hear they took Damon Lindelof off the project and put the British writer Steven Knight on it.

Zardnaar

Legend
The problem is that it's a faux-Western - Favreau completely lost the actual "Western" aspects of the show after S1 (hell, he didn't even make it to the end of S1 with them intact), and I don't believe for one hot second he'd be able to get them back in any way that matters for a movie, especially not after how bad he screwed up Boba Fett (which I still kind of like for being so dumb, but it's pretty dumb). More likely he'd use the Western aesthetic, but totally fail to get at the core of what makes Westerns work, and just end up making a boring movie with no real emotional impact. Low-grade is purely negative too - there's nothing good about it.

Also, let's be real - if Grogu is in it, "restrained use of the force" is already completely out the window. His powers get more prodigious pretty much every episode.

100% won't happen any time soon. It got nixed long ago, Laeta Kalogridis was working on it.

More importantly, Disney has appropriated the Old Republic aesthetic and vibe (but not lore) for the High Republic stuff, which is set more like 150-30 years before the PT. There's a High Republic TV show in progress already (The Acolyte). It wrapped shooting middle of 2023 and will be out this year.

I'd say that latter applies to all SW movies, very much including this one. Disney cannot be trusted to actually complete a Star Wars project until after it starts shooting, and even then they might mess with it. None of the upcoming movies, including this one, have started shooting nor are they close.

Note that if you actually click the link to the article, the Rey one is specifically mentioned, and the article is on the official Disney website, so as of right now, Disney definitely doesn't think it's dead. It's when they strategically stop mentioning something that it's safe to assume it's dead rather than merely "unlikely" as all SW movies are under Disney. Some may be pleased to hear they took Damon Lindelof off the project and put the British writer Steven Knight on it.

Somewhat optimistic about this one they've actually scheduled shooting.

Other 2 nit so much. I suspect why this one has jumped the line.

they've actually scheduled shooting
Have they? If so when it is scheduled to start, precisely?

Because I don't think they have, and the article doesn't support that claim. It merely says that they intend to "start production in 2024". I intend to "lose a lot of weight in 2024".

We'll see if either of those things actually happens.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Have they? If so when it is scheduled to start, precisely?

Because I don't think they have, and the article doesn't support that claim. It merely says that they intend to "start production in 2024". I intend to "lose a lot of weight in 2024".

We'll see if either of those things actually happens.
If you were carrying a lot of that weight in the form of announced Star Wars movies, your odds would be pretty good.

Remove ads