• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Manyshot Damage Modifiers: HOW!?

JavaBomberman

First Post
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by HEL Pit Fiend

Many people are describing the feat as +x/+x/+x/+x/+x/+x, or "6 attacks per round." My point is that that is incorrect. It is one attack roll, an all-or-nothing proposition, all arrows hit or none hit.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is exactly what I was thinking as I read through this post. It is one attack, because you are knocking multiple arrows once. That's how I see it. I don't see how there is ever a -2/arrow to attack, the feat never states per arrow, it simply states "with a -2 penalty on the attack" it then says "you may add one additional arrow to this attack to a maximum of four" that says to me that as you get better base attacks, you are simply able to put more arrows into your single attack with a single roll. So, assuming that all to be true, with my level 25 fighter w/ BAB +23, I am able to shoot five arrows at a base of +21 (-2 for the single attack) plus my other ranged bonuses. I assume that since it is a single attack; weapon focus, point blank shot, and any masterwork or magic bonuses apply only once to the attack. assuming a basic bow and arrows, that would be +23 all together. (+23 BAB, -2 penalty from manyshot, +1 from weapon focus, +1 from point blank shot) If anyone disagrees, please argue it, but it seems to make sense.
My real question is: How do damage bonuses apply? The feat does state that "you only apply precision-based damage once". Looking over weapon specialization, in regards to ranged attacks it states "the damage bonus only applies if the target is within 30 feet" (not an issue, since manyshot is within 30 feet anyways) "because only at that range can the fighter strike precisely enough to hit more effectively." So, it does say precision is a key, therefore I would assume you only get a straight +2 to damage on a manyshot attack, and not a +2 per arrow. I do not know, however, whether to multiply my +1 from point blank shot by my amount of arrows. Point blank shot doesn't state that it is from precision, but most all ranged feats imply that you are damn good at aiming, which is the same as precision. Also, what about magical bows? Does each arrow receive the magic bonus, or does the magic bonus only apply to each attack by a weapon? And, what about a mighty bow? Does that damage apply to each arrow, or to the single attack of all arrows? Basically, I just don't know how much damage to add to the attack, and which bonuses are per arrow, and which are per attack.
any comments on this would be helpful, one way or the other.

(yes, I already posted this in the existing manyshot thread, but I'm impatient and... yeah.. so there :p)

Gromm

First Post
BAB cant go over 20.
I don't have the ELHB, but thats the way I've understood it as well (with regards to ManyShot).

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Gromm said:
BAB cant go over 20.
I don't have the ELHB, but thats the way I've understood it as well (with regards to ManyShot).

BAB does stop at 20, but Epic base Attack stacks with it to determine things like this.

JavaBomberman

First Post
"To qualify for any feat that requires a minimum base attack bonus, use the sum of your base attack bonus and epic attack bonus"

That's what the ELH says. So yes, your BAB never goes past 20, but your effective BAB in relation to all feats is 20 + your epic attack bonus.

Anyways, I wasn't asking about attack bonuses, I just want to know about damage. Anyone?

Crothian

First Post
sorry, I meant per arrow. Of course damage applies. It would be silly to have an attack option that negated all your damage bonuses.

JavaBomberman

First Post
ok, but why do you think that every damage mod is per arrow?

for example, I think that a magical bonus on a bow would not apply to each arrow, because it seems to me that a magic bonus can only go so far, and once per attack seems like a logical limit. In other words, a +1 magic bow just isn't powerful enough to give a +1 to 5 arrows that it is firing at the same time. That's how I see it.

But point blank shot? is that a function of how well you aim? (therefore not giving a +1 per arrow) or is it a function of how well you can use your bow? (that would probably allow +1 per arrow shot then) This applies to weapon specialization too, I think. Is it accuracy, or bow use? that's the question.

anyone?

HEL Pit Fiend

First Post
Hey, good question!

Here's I would do it:

Precision based bonuses (apply damage only once):
1. Point blank shot
2. Weapon specialization

Non-precision bonuses (apply per arrow):
1. Strength (you pull back the string harder for all arrows)
2. Magical arrow bonuses (each arrow is inherently deadlier)
3. Magical arrow special abilities, flaming etc. (same reasoning as above)

Not sure ??
1. Magical bow bonuses
2. Magical bow special abilities, flaming etc.

Gonna think on it...

JavaBomberman

First Post
Like I said above, I think the magic of a bow would only apply to a single attack, not across all the arrows. A +1 bow is still just +1, if it applied a +1 to five arrows that seems to me like it would act like a +5 bow in that situation.

I agree with your other observations though, Pit Fiend. Thanks for the feedback.

Remove ads