[March] What are you reading?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
So far, I've read Adventure! (a 2005 collection of pulp short stories from a variety of writers, including Michael Moorcock), and a bunch of guitar magazines.

On my current list of things to read or finish reading: (more) assorted guitar magazines, Brian Lumley's Haggopian, the latest issue of Fantasy & Science-Fiction magazine, HERO 6Ed and 4Ed PHBs 1-3 (because the new guy in the group is making noises about running a 4Ed game).

And just the other day, I picked up the latest in Harry Turtledove's Atlantis series, along with 2 more of Simon Green's Nightside books.

Wombat

First Post
Currently re-reading Oliver Twist in preparation for my upcoming SotC-based steampunk campaign -- Dickens is really good at describing how horrible the wrong end of London looked in the mid-19th century.

Jack7

First Post
I've just started my preliminary studies for the Priesthood. So tonight I'm starting on Saint Clement and Saint Ignatius of Antioch. Next week I get my first texts on philosophy. Even though in college my first major was Religion and Philosophy, and I read in them extensively, it's been a long while, and I could certainly use the refreshers.

I'm also reading an interesting book called the Writer's Idea Book.

I also got a right interesting book called Fabulous Creatures, Mythical Monsters. I'll start it tomorrow.

Otherwise I've just been studying to move up in rank. Lot of reading and paperwork. Lord I hate paperwork.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Jack, congratulations on at least testing whether you heard "the Call" or not, instead of assuming that it never came.

Good Luck!

(PS: if you make it all the way through the seminary, buy a community support account here and take "RPGPriest" as your custom title!;))

Jack7

First Post
Jack, congratulations on at least testing whether you heard "the Call" or not, instead of assuming that it never came.

Good Luck!

Well Dan, I've known I was meant to be a priest since I was a little boy. Always felt that was my Wyrd (know that term?) and that eventually I'd be one. I've always felt called by God. Used to have dreams about it. In which I was priest in North Africa/Egypt thousands of years ago. (Not saying I believe in past lives or anything, just that it's always been deep in me. Even subconsciously.) Still have dreams about it, only different kinds.

On the other hand I always felt a big struggle between the priesthood and what I owed God, and having a wife and family. I never thought I'd live long enough to marry anyways so originally I started out for the seminary. But I met a woman and had a real time wrestling with the idea of, "could I be celibate, or was I supposed to have a wife and a family?" When I was younger I saw them as ideals conflicting with each other. As canceling each other out. After college and work in different fields I woke up one morning and realized I was thirty and would live a lot longer than I had originally thought. (Not that I was in bad health, I've always had pretty good health except for my injuries, but I just lived sort of a dangerous life doing dangerous things - I was pretty sure I'd die in an accident or be killed working undercover.)

But when I reached thirty still breathing I just felt that it was right at that point to get married. So I did, started my own business, and had a family. I know now that was not a mistake of any sort but part of my destiny, and an important part. Yet God and the priesthood always sat in the background of my mind and my soul. And I knew I would always become a priest eventually. So I started attending Mass at a Coptic church (which I really, really enjoyed) off and on (usually High Holy Days), and eventually began the conversion process to become Orthodox, which I'm undergoing now.

A few years from now I'll be off to the Seminary and then I'll be ordained, God willing, and if I live long enough, which right now I'm sure I will barring some unforeseen (to me) accident. My wife and kids should be well off enough that I won't have to worry about their physical or financial needs, and with the kids grown up they will be fine. After I'm ordained I'll take the wife with me (maybe the grandkids on occasion) and I plan, if I'm allowed, to go to either Africa, where I've had a lot of past dealings (and my wife is black so I think she'll find it interesting) or Asia to pursue mission work and helping the poor. (I've always liked missions work.) Plant churches, start schools, help with education and medical needs, that kinda thing. I've never desired to be anything more than a lowly priest so that will be more than fine by me. I've got no ekklesiastical office aspirations. Most of my earnings from my writings will just go back to the church and to help the poor.

It's funny now to be pursing this much later in life than I originally planned, but I feel like it was all meant to happen the way it happened (though at the time I didn't know that), and so I'm glad of it. I personally think that I'll make a much better priest now, knowing what I know and having been through what I've been through, that if I had tried to pursuing being a priest was I was young and conflicted about my priorities. I'm not conflicted now, I'm totally relaxed and at peace with my situation and my life, and the way things turned out. I know though for sure that this time I'll end up being a priest, assuming I live long enough.

Thanks for the encouragement though. And by all means pray for me (and anybody else that wants to, take your shot, I never turn down prayers) so that I'll have wisdom and strength. You know I'm completely at peace now, but I'm still much older than I used to be. It'll be psychologically and spiritually and I even suspect academically easy. Physically easy, maybe not so much.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
OOooohhh...first, a word of warning: I'm 42, single, and a perpetual student. I have a BA, a JD, an MBA, and I'm currently working on a degree in Conflict Resolution/Negotiation.

You might think that going back to school as an adult is going to be psychologically easy, but that could be a pitfall. As a family man, you're going to have all kinds of day-to-day pressures that a single person might not. Even if your family is super-supportive, your studies are going to take away from "Jack-time."

IOW, don't fall into that trap!

I mean, I hope you do find it easy, but take the time to keep a healthy balance between your family and your vocation. I'm a Catholic, so we don't have many married priests (we do get a certain number of converts, though), so I suspect that those faiths that DO have married clergy as an ordinary part of the hierarchy view achieving and maintaining that balance between family, flock and faith as a key to fitness to perform those duties.

Second, about being a missionary.

I run into a lot of Africans who have moved to the Dallas/FW area. Almost to a man, those I've met point out that the Catholic church was important to them for the missionary work they did...even the non-Catholics. The consensus hasn't been as strongly favorable towards missionaries of other faiths. For the most part, it seems that their compliments about the Catholics are in regards to the stability & resources the Catholic missionaries bring and respect they show the natives. They're trying to convert people, yes, but they don't cram Bibles down the throats of the people asking for rice and education.

Perhaps you can do a little research and use that as a potential model.

Last edited:

Jack7

First Post
You might think that going back to school as an adult is going to be psychologically easy, but that could be a pitfall. As a family man, you're going to have all kinds of day-to-day pressures that a single person might not. Even if your family is super-supportive, your studies are going to take away from "Jack-time."

Yeah, I've been through that already with some of my other work. Detective, psychological, writing. Overwork can put a tremendous strain on your marriage and your family life. (And give ya heart troubles and an early grave.) But over time I've learned a few tricks, and I'm pretty tight with how I spend my time. I try not to squander much of it. And I'm not gonna say I have anything like a perfect marriage, and we've certainly had our share of problems. But over time I've learned a few tricks there too, including how to budget time to maintain that, and even to make it thrive. So yes, we've had strains, I've learned from them and think because of it our marriage is much the better for it. Same with the kids. So I'm pretty well sure I've got that one licked. It's a matter of time management for the most part.

I've even set aside time once a month or so for real solitude (as a matter of fact the wife and kids are away this weekend, so much of this day will be spent in solitude, silence, playing with the dogs, walking in the woods, and talking with God - plus I'll write some), and I have time set aside every day for prayer, and every week for meditation, contemplation, and reflection. Now being a priest will be time consuming and I'm not cocky or anything about that. Stuff will naturally arise you don't expect, it always does. But over time I've learned how to manage responsibilities pretty well or even turn down responsibilities if necessary til things cool down. I do have a tendency towards overwork though, that's why I make out schedules to prevent myself from trying to do everything without taking the time to enjoy my wife and kids, relax, recreate, exercise, and spend time with God. Long as I regulate my time well I think I'll be okay on that score.

Perhaps you can do a little research and use that as a potential model.

Well, I'm not a big fan of attempted forced conversion. If that's what you're hinting at. (In the long run things like that are counterproductive to the spiritual life and development of the individual convert I think - not to mention the missionary himself or herself, and lead to thinking that God wishes to suppress human individuality, rather than transform and improve it. And correspondingly buying conversion is a form of trickery to me, which also in the end lessens transformation rather than edifies it.) I think the first duty(s) of a missionary is patience, respect, and real love for the individual, and I think one should learn the local customs, language, myths, traditions, etc to the degree possible. I don't believe so much in replacement missionary work as I do in enhancement missionary work. If you understand me.

Now, obviously if murder (or some other type of malignant conduct) is a big part of the local customs or way of doing things, I'd oppose that. Real harm, sin, etc I'd naturally oppose. I'd intervene if possible to stop it. I'm a big believer in justice and not oppressing the weak and defenseless. However, differences in culture, behavior, traditions, language, literature, psychological outlook and so forth, that wouldn't bother me any, as a matter of fact the scientist and psychologist in me would be more likely to be interested in these things and want to study them. See what benefit they might engender.

My concern towards others as a missionary would be Christ and Christ-like behavior, everything else would be secondary and mundane. In other words if people are not engaged in harm then let them be themselves and work in the ways most natural to themselves and their background. Or, my job is to help people improve themselves through God, not suppress themselves because of God. There's always a balance of course but generally speaking I try to put myself in the other guy's shoes and think of it from their point of view and then work out from there. Patience and respect takes longer, but it also is a better way to treat folks if you want their patience and respect. I think being a missionary means being a friend to those you are serving, in the best way you can. Doesn't mean you always agree with them, but you should be their friend, colleague, and brother.

Perhaps being Catholic you're familiar with Saint Francis Xavier (one of my favorite Saints, along with Patrick who is also a model missionary to me)? Many of the early Jesuits I have studied extensively and admired (Loyola, Xavier, Ricci) greatly both for their spiritual and intellectual accomplishments, but also for the way they went about their missionary work. Xavier and Ricci have influenced me greatly and would be my models when it comes to how function as a missionary, operationally speaking.

By the way, speaking of Ricci, when I was young I read a great book on Matteo Ricci called the Memory Palace of Matteo Ricci. I highly recommend it. The book is mostly about Ricci and his (and ancient) Mnemonic techniques (I've always been fascinated and interested in mnemonic and mental techniques) but it has some good, even superb information on how he operated as a missionary.

I have a BA, a JD, an MBA, and I'm currently working on a degree in Conflict Resolution/Negotiation.

Sounds like you're well prepared for something. Is negotiation part of your work? With all of those capabilities you should be of real use to somebody.

Well, I'm gonna go get a late breakfast and start my day. Exercise first, then some relaxation and solitude.

See you guys.

Remove ads