[March] What are you reading?

JoeGKushner

First Post
Over on my blog, Appendix N , I talk about what I'm reading and watching. I just finished Dissolution, a historical, the second book I've read by the same author. Very strong writing and some solid characters and a lot of ideas for gaming.

Shade

Monster Junkie
I've finished a bunch of A. Merritt's work lately (The Moon Pool, Dwellers in the Mirage, The Face in the Abyss, Through the Dragon Glass, The People of the Pit, Three Lines of Old French, The Drone, The Pool of the Stone God, The Women of the Wood, and Creep, Shadow!) That man is one of the most underrated talents of all time. :confused:

I also finished the final two Barsoom novels, Llana of Gathol and John Carter of Mars.

I'm currently plowing through Otis Adelbert Kline's Venus stories. I finished Planet of Peril and Prince of Peril, and am starting Port of Peril.

Mallus

Legend
I'm getting back to The Gods of Mars (and, umm, Ulysses) after taking a detour to Richard Morgan's fabulous fantasy novel, The Steel Remains.

Wombat

First Post
Being on a "steampunk" kick of late, I read Verne's Master of the World and Robur the Conqueror, then switched to the anthology Extraordinary Engines and the novel Leviathan. Verne, as always, is excellent; Leviathan, even given it was meant more on a kids' level, was rather disappointing (too much "Wow! What an amazing coincidence!"), though with a few good ideas; the anthology was, of course, uneven, but tended more towards poor than good, sad to say. Next up will be Oliver Twist to get the feel of the rookeries right ... and if anyone suggests Anubis Gates again to me, I shall thump them! ;)

Jack7

First Post
On CD I just finished listening to The Big Sleep. (If you're gonna read the classics, then in my opinion, you just oughtta read the classics).

It's been years and years since I reread it. The man was ingenius.

I'm also listening on CD to A Princess of Mars. It's been years since I re-read that as well, and Burroughs was a brilliantly good writer. I realize that more and more now that I am much older, and am reading his books not so much for story as for style and capability. The man had a superb use of the language. I was also shocked to find out not long ago they were making a film of the book. Not something I'd think Hollywood would have much interest in.

Since I'm going through the Great Books of the Western World in order I've just started re-reading Herodotus.

Other than that been too busy to read other than for work and research.

Jack7

First Post
I just stumbled across the trailer for A Princess of Mars. Form what I saw it looked very cheap and disappointing, especially the way they did the Green Men.

And Traci Lords as Dejah Thoris? I got nothing against her but she's the very opposite in appearance and behavior of what I think of as...

Know what? I just saw the whole trailer. Not worth the bother.

Mallus

Legend
In an effort to not finish ERB's The Gods of the Mars after reading half of it on a plane, I started John Banville's new novel, The Infinities, after hearing a semi-glowing review on NPR.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases