• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[March] What are you reading?

d4

First Post
Asmo said:
Just finished the part where Merry and Pippin meets Treebeard.
Have PJ explained to us why Treebeard (in the movie) is tricked into going after Saruman, rather following the counsel of the Entmoot?
I find this very strange.
i'm guessing PJ changed it from the book so that every major decision is coming from one of the main characters. so that instead of the ents deciding for themselves to go to war, they need the hobbits to convince them.

just a thought.

Pielorinho

Iron Fist of Pelor
d4 said:
i'm guessing PJ changed it from the book so that every major decision is coming from one of the main characters. so that instead of the ents deciding for themselves to go to war, they need the hobbits to convince them.

That's my impression. Because he had to cut out a lot of the dialogue and description in order to get the movie down to under ten hours, he risked making certain lesser characters totally irrelevant. Getting M&P to be instrumental in the razing of Saruman's tower gives them an important role in the salvation of Middle Earth.

I'm now reading Oryx and Crake, a postapocalyptic novel by Margaret Atwood. Creepy.

Daniel

Taelorn76

First Post
rigth now I am reading The Highwayman, as well as Authurian Legends. It's a collection of stories based around King Author.
On deck is Digital Fortress by Dan Brown.

Eregion2

First Post
I've just started Terry Brook's Shannara books, Scions of Shannara to be exact. So far it's ok, not the absolute best, but still promising.

I've read all of Dan Brown's books.(i.e. Angels and Demons, the Da Vinci Code, Digital Fortress, and Deception Point.) They're all good, but they all follow the same pattern, he needs to change the story line a bit in his next one.

Also, Bernard Cornwell's The Archer's Tale, Vagabond, and Heretic are great, except he should have had Thomas find the Holy Grail at the end of Vagabond, and never have wrote Heretic, it's just to prolonged.(just like this thread, don't you think?)

Guess that's it.- Eregion2

Last edited:

knitnerd

First Post
Medieval mysteries

I have been working my way through the Owen Archer mysteries by Candace M. Robb. They were reccomended by a man who saw me reading Sharan Newman's Catherine LeVendure mysteries.

Tetsubo

First Post
Grassland by Richard Manning. A fascinating read about the area on the North American continent that we call the Prairie.

Wolf72

Explorer
just finished Angels and Deamons and Deception Point by Dan Brown (ala the Da Vinci Code) ....

both were okay, but the man throws so many plot twists and narrow escapes in that I got kinda bored ... started skimming paragraphs to find out if they had info or were another 'harrowing escape/survival'.

the Da Vinci Code seemed to have about the right mix of twists and escapes without overdoing it.

DaveStebbins

First Post
For audiobooks, I finished Sunset in St. Tropez by Danielle Steele and am about a third of the way through Dickens' Oliver Twist. Next in the queue is a non-fiction book about raising teenagers called Get Out of My Life, But First Could You Drive Me and Cheryl to the Mall?

Speaking of non-fiction, I was actually able to finish my first hardcopy book in two or three months. It was an autobiography called Underneath It All, by Traci Lords.

-Dave

tetsujin28

First Post
I hardly ever read fiction, though I'm going to go back and reread the REH Solomon Kane stories over holiday.

Right now I'm in the midst of about 15 books on Constantine and Eusebius.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
So far, still working on Illumination, by Terry McGarry. Unfortunately, I looked at the back cover copy for the sequal, The Binder's Road, which has a major spoiler for the first book on it. Dang. But Illumination is still a very good book. Just about done with it... then probably either The Coming of Conan or Conquerer's Moon. Or maybe the second book to A Cavern of Black Ice.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads