Mari Kolkowsky (D&D Art Director) got laid off yesterday

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
At least they're laying people off a month before Christmas.
The D&D brand hasn't generated a ton of profit in the last year, I'd be surprise if they didn't try and trim.

Do you think so? The number of DDI subscribers speak a different language IMHO. We also don't know about the income stream generated by projects like the online games. Are they really trimming teh departement "due to economical reasons" or are they preparing the brand for sale?

In September I wrote as reaction to the Dungeon and Dragon hiatus:

[QUOTE;Jan van Leyden]So they're stopping the articles, which in turn means no work whatsover will be done for the tools; they we're doing updates for the sparse contents of Dungeon and Dragon anyway.

So we don't have a release announcement for D&DN.

Let's see what the December lay-offs will bring this year.

With this turn of events I'm extremely sceptical right now. There are so many signs of a project dying...[/QUOTE]

Gundark

Explorer
Wotc is a strange bird... Here's the deal. They are not making money off of D&D anymore. Mari is a fantastic art director. She was blindsided by this. BTW, you do know that Jon Schindehette gave notice a couple of weeks ago. A lot of the creative team isn't happy there and I wouldn't be surprised to see D&D licensed out within the next 6 months.

Ugh....just ugh...

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
One of the sayings I learnt living in Singapore was "Never steal a man's (or woman's) rice bowl."

As a corollary to that, the posts by some people in this thread impugning this woman's ability to do her job (and, by implication, her integrity) are really offensive, particularly when this is a company that has regular non-performance related lay-offs.

Anyway, it's a good reminder that the "ignore" button is there for a reason.

Dannager

First Post
Wotc is a strange bird... Here's the deal. They are not making money off of D&D anymore. Mari is a fantastic art director. She was blindsided by this. BTW, you do know that Jon Schindehette gave notice a couple of weeks ago. A lot of the creative team isn't happy there and I wouldn't be surprised to see D&D licensed out within the next 6 months.

There are a lot of claims in there that don't line up with the understanding of the situation a lot of us have - D&D not making any money, or the creative team being discontented, or talk of D&D being licensed - and it's a bit much to ask us to take any of that on faith, especially from someone with no posting history here. Do you have any evidence to share with us?

fjw70

Adventurer
in WA you can't hire into the same role for 6 months (if I'm remembering employment law right in this state)

That doesn't make any sense. If a company lets you go you are legally forbidden from getting a similar position for six months? I don't buy it.

Also, as some that was blindsided with a layoff earlier this year I feel bad for Mari and hopes she lands something soon.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
I don't know anything about the specifics of that WA law, but the prohibition is for the company, not for the laid-off employee.

Why would anyone want to work for the Dread Pirate WOTC anymore? How many game companies need to spring up and eat WOTC's lunch before they realize how important taking care of your people is to long term success?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
That doesn't make any sense. If a company lets you go you are legally forbidden from getting a similar position for six months? I don't buy it.

No; if you lay someone off you can't hire someone to replace them. If you want to replace someone, you have to fire them properly, not lay them off.

D'karr

Adventurer
Anyway, it's a good reminder that the "ignore" button is there for a reason.

That is extremely good advise. From what I've seen on these boards over the last year, or so, it would be nice if some would take a hint and remained ForeverSilent. Sadly that is just tilting at windmills.

Remove ads