Mari Kolkowsky (D&D Art Director) got laid off yesterday

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Sad news indeed :erm:

With recent comments from Chris Perkins at Game Hole Con panel about the future art of D&D Next, i wouldn't be surprised if WoTC are changing their art directors to shift views and art styles somehow.

"Chris Perkins: #dndnext is not going to look like any previous edition. Meticulously laid out. "We have a staggering art budget for this project"

Staggering could either mean a lot of money or very little.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Wotc is a strange bird... Here's the deal. They are not making money off of D&D anymore. Mari is a fantastic art director. She was blindsided by this. BTW, you do know that Jon Schindehette gave notice a couple of weeks ago. A lot of the creative team isn't happy there and I wouldn't be surprised to see D&D licensed out within the next 6 months.

She has apparently been there 13 years. For her to survive this long is impressive.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
Why? Should people never get fired?

Exactly!

I work heavily in the corporate world and getting laid off or getting fired happens. You are not a person when you work for a corporation, you are just a number and they will get rid of you if it suits them or if you are not meeting their expectations. What kind of person you are and how well you are liked means nothing. S^*t happens which is an unfortunate fact. I assume she probably was involved with the art for 4th edition and since they want a new direction for the art in D&D next, they wanted to start with a clean slate.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
That doesn't make any sense. If a company lets you go you are legally forbidden from getting a similar position for six months? I don't buy it.

Not part of law, but "non-compete" clauses in contracts are common. If you work for me, you cannot turn around and then go to work for one of my direct competitors for a time. This is meant to prevent you from taking current knowledge of my business and clients to my competitors.

In Massachusetts, non-competes are nearly unenforceable in court, but in some other places, and in some industries, I'm told they stick pretty well.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I assume she probably was involved with the art for 4th edition and since they want a new direction for the art in D&D next, they wanted to start with a clean slate.

But, if they are releasing this coming summer, I'd expect it is way too late to *start* directing the art. As Mark said upthread, it is more probable the job is now largely done, so they don't need her to do it.

For follow-on projects and supplements, they may not need someone with her qualifications - she may now be over-qualified for the job to come.

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
But, if they are releasing this coming summer, I'd expect it is way too late to *start* directing the art. As Mark said upthread, it is more probable the job is now largely done, so they don't need her to do it.

For follow-on projects and supplements, they may not need someone with her qualifications - she may now be over-qualified for the job to come.

Then it sounds like WoTc should just hire nothing but freelancers and temps.

Warbringer

Explorer
That doesn't make any sense. If a company lets you go you are legally forbidden from getting a similar position for six months? I don't buy it.

Also, as some that was blindsided with a layoff earlier this year I feel bad for Mari and hopes she lands something soon.

I meant WoTC can't hire into that position if the termination is without cause as a reason of reduction in force (rif).

Now, if she signed a non-compete she could be likewise restrained, but they are very difficult to enforce in WA

ForeverSlayer

Banned
Banned
I meant WoTC can't hire into that position if the termination is without cause as a reason of reduction in force (rif).

Now, if she signed a non-compete she could be likewise restrained, but they are very difficult to enforce in WA

Depends on the state. Some states have an "at will fire" policy where they can let you go for any reason except things such as race, religion, sex, etc...

Remove ads