D&D 4E Martial Techniques

Nothing specific is leaping immediately to mind, but I'm sure I remember some character builds where getting a magic item opened up a feat, or taking a feat opened up an item slot...

Well, THAT category is very large. The most obvious example being Dual Implement Spellcaster. Once you had that you could pick up your Staff of Ruin and get a nice damage bonus to all your attacks. Another example would be something like a spiked buckler with a weapon enchantment on it and Shield Proficiency (or a shield for that matter, though I cannot recall even one shield with a worthwhile enchantment on it).

i think I am recalling some valuable damage resistances...

Well, OK, but nobody took them because there were vastly better things to spend an arm slot on....

There could be some sort of edge-case for a wizard maybe? I don't know. I really literally never saw a shield in play, except once, and it was a non-optimal choice. I think it was just something the character picked up and used because nothing better was available.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Well, OK, but nobody took them because there were vastly better things to spend an arm slot on....

There could be some sort of edge-case for a wizard maybe? I don't know. I really literally never saw a shield in play, except once, and it was a non-optimal choice. I think it was just something the character picked up and used because nothing better was available.

My son has a Captain America character ;) haven't seen him played but he sounds fun.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Awesome Physique

You may use your strength in place of charisma for performing diplomacy, this generally requires you to not be wearing body obscuring things like most armor

This could be used as a pattern for any technique allowing a different attribute to persistently be applied to all uses of any skill assuming you have a nice story reason for the effect. Perhaps the "nimble athletics" technique allows dex to be applied universally to the athletics skill. (or instinctive historian allows Con to be applied to history -hey you know the high con also allows him to study all night when the high int guy is nodding off)

However level 2 skill powers which enable swapping out of skills once per encounter I consider evidence this may actually be much too expensive. The likelihood of skills being employed large numbers of times in an encounter is fairly low so the skill power is almost as useful as the above.

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Humble Elocution
This technique is technically open to many (not just martial types) and is not actually that popular often due to personality reasons nor is it necessary that natural to most though some rogues really find it very potent (see loki). This is a self deprecating verbal technique where humility becomes an ingratiating factor it can be sincere or deceptive and may be done in blatant fashion as part of humor.

The technique confers a technique bonus equal to your rank in it for both Diplomacy and Deception skills. Additionally Daily you may choose to re-roll a Diplomacy or Deception attempt using the second even if it is lower.

the rank 1 version is available at level 3.
This technique requires 1 focus

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Martial Techniques are by the way a continuance of this stated goal for 4e.

"One of our goals in 4th Edition was to reduce characters’ reliance on magic items."

Arguably they are the final step.

Remove ads