D&D 4E Martial Techniques

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I thought I would mention something many martial techniques leave physical signs on their users particularly if they are advanced rank for instance those which are hands being used as weaponry build up callouses Offensive techniques that are not prepared may still be visible in this fashion if not necessarily identified.

The defensive ones often show themselves in subtle changes in movement for instance may be observed in a change how the character walks and similar things (The wearing of Woad and Tattoos are mentioned above and can be identified as something other than normal makeup or skin marking and are another visualization).

Most techniques not requiring focus which are not prepared are impossible to discern. Some few are only visible and identifiable when prepared or even when used AND this may be noted in their descriptions. The technique humble elocution being an example.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Awesome Physique

You may use your strength in place of charisma for performing diplomacy, this generally requires you to not be wearing body obscuring things like most armor

Many techniques may be presented with what amounts to flavor based limits some like this are designed to encourage use of martial defense techniques with them. (they should be called out explicitly)

Last edited:

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I will be translating Ki Focuses into Martial Techniques (you can ofcourse only use one of these Chi Techniques at a time. -- just because I can I will be changing the key word on all monk implement powers to focus or chi or something. You can use your inherent focus or that gained via learned techniques. A magic weapon may be attuned just as described for attuning the ki focus.

Unfortunate amount of confusing language overlap I have been using Focus to represent something different here bringing the focus items in as techniques makes tons of sense however.

Last edited:

Yeah, I've done a lot of similar things in my games. 'chi' and 'martial' are effectively the same thing, so there is no separate power source monk. Magic items are simply boons instantiated as such, with consumables being basically 'stored rituals' (so scrolls and potions are mechanically identical, though you would normally employ one or the other for flavor reasons).

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Yeah, I've done a lot of similar things in my games. 'chi' and 'martial' are effectively the same thing, so there is no separate power source monk. inherent enhancement
Definitely the same thing... In some sense the monk is the martial artist most aware of his "source" and visualizing it that way but not really different under the hood.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I think the flavor change for the Monk is strangely important

The biggest mechanical changes to the Monk I am making will be giving them Martial Practices as a default function. I have decided I do very much like the monks mechanics even if lock stepping their movement power with a particular attack seems kind of unnecessary.

The only other criticism I have heard of the monk comes from char op I think wrt its lack of single target focus as a striker. I had some ideas that allowed a monk to use their flurry on a limited basis (perhaps once a day per tier?) all against a single target which might clear that up.

Yeah, I think they should have plenty of flavor. I just didn't see the need for a whole different power source for it, and then the 'hack' of psychic. The paired move and attack routines are OK, they kind of hark back to the schools of OA and obviously into fiction.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Well I am started on the process.
monk.png

Remove ads