D&D 5E Martials v Casters...I still don't *get* it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sithlord

Adventurer
Olive Garden is doing great business... so is McDonald’s. Neither make the best food. If you could get Five Guys quality food in as many places as fast as McDonald’s then the Golden Arches would go out of business.

being in business doesn’t make you the best.

I don’t know anyone who turns down going to Olive Garden. I also don’t know anyone who thinks Olive Garden is the best Italian restaurant....
D&D will always be the McDonald’s of rpg. And they are happy being that. Why try to be a 5 star restaurant when u r making more money feeding people junk than being a 5 star restaurant. Now give me a Big Mac and side of battle master maneuvers please and a fear for an arcane spell. Thank you.

DnD Warlord

Adventurer
D&D will always be the McDonald’s of rpg. And they are happy being that. Why try to be a 5 star restaurant when u r making more money feeding people junk than being a 5 star restaurant. Now give me a Big Mac and side of battle master maneuvers please and a fear for an arcane spell. Thank you.
I don’t mind you having your Big Mac if you don’t mind me wanting a quarter pounder with bacon and my fiancé getting a chicken Sandwich.

I am not advocating taking away your battle master (or champion or echo knight) fighter just adding to the menu a war blade.

Sithlord

Adventurer
I don’t mind you having your Big Mac if you don’t mind me wanting a quarter pounder with bacon and my fiancé getting a chicken Sandwich.

I am not advocating taking away your battle master (or champion or echo knight) fighter just adding to the menu a war blade.
I know what u r advocating. You want a filet mignon. Now there are plenty of homebrew creations out there and dmguilds creations out there that do that. But many are too snobby to do that without the official wotc stamp of approval.

Stalker0

Legend
Sure, but first a fighter has to get persuasion - not too hard, but it's not on their skill list. That means getting a race that can provide it or a background that can - which may not be optimal. And if the fighter "just" takes the skill they'll be pretty bad at it. Basically their role will be to assist the guy who's good in the party (to give them advantage). Assisting is all well and good, but, sometimes, you want to be the actual guy!

Even the current option in Tasha's - take commanding presence to be able to add a superiority die to (some) charisma checks is a massive investment as fighters don't get all that many maneuvers (or dice for that matter as every use will impact their next potential combat).
While I get your point, I want to disagree with the severity here.

Getting Persuasion in 5e is really not hard. Its not a big cost. Oh I'm a noble instead of a solider....done. Just that simple. Backgrounds are mainly about skills, so if you want a skill, take a background that has it. Done. Skills are pretty easy if you want a specific one, its just hard if you want a LOT of skills.

Choosing one manuever to be really good at something is not a huge investment. Maneuvers can be spammed, there is nothing that stops a BM fighter from just using say.... Parry and Precision attack all day every day and be perfectly, wonderful fine in combat. If you want to take the last maneuver for a persuasion bump....your really not reducing your combat effectiveness all that much.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
I know what u r advocating. You want a filet mignon. Now there are plenty of homebrew creations out there and dmguilds creations out there that do that. But many are too snobby to do that without the official wotc stamp of approval.
the stamp makes it something dm have a harder time saying no too and that is important.

DnD Warlord

Adventurer
I have no need for a filet. However I know wonder what you think of the mc rib

Sithlord

Adventurer
the stamp makes it something dm have a harder time saying no too and that is important.
You will not have the things u want if I expect wotc to make them for you. Because there is too many things many different people want. Do it yourself or use what some other independent creator made. It’s just a reality. Now I agree. There should be lots of fighter archetypes with varying degrees of complexity and diversification. I don’t see it happening soon. So wait year after year for a wotc approved one to be made or use one someone else made it make your own. Those are the only options.

DnD Warlord

Adventurer
You will not have the things u want if I expect wotc to make them for you. Because there is too many things many different people want. Do it yourself or use what some other independent creator made. It’s just a reality. Now I agree. There should be lots of fighter archetypes with varying degrees of complexity and diversification. I don’t see it happening soon. So wait year after year for a wotc approved one to be made or use one someone else made it make your own. Those are the only options.
Or. And hear me out here...

we can vocally request that WoTC do what we want and show them that there is money in doing so...

ph0rk

Friendship is Magic, and Magic is Heresy.
To be fair, some changes should wait for the next edition.
And I'd be fine with that; the 5e PHB/SRD isn't going to change, anyway.

I think they should reconsider how expertise and proficiency work; making two pillars primarily skill based while some classes both don't get expertise and/or have primary combat uses for attributes that (most typically) are used for those checks makes engaging in those pillars an uphill climb - with what are technically optional features (feats)!

If that occurs in 5.5 or 6e, fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases