Marvel could publish DC.

Ashrym

Legend
My understanding was publishing was being considered to be shut down and licenced out but movies, TV, and merchandizing would not because those are profitable. The IP is valuable.

Many of the arricles are clickbait the doesn't represent the whole story.

I'm more interested in Dan Didio's termination and what the upcoming direction will be.

Also, Jim Lee indicated DC was not likely to be sold.

Zardnaar

Legend
Don't know if 5G (or the fifth generation reboot) is going to work.

I heard that if that fails, DC publishing would be just doing its back catalogue (omnibus) in printed. Any new storied would be e-comics.

After all, there is over 80 years of stories/villains AT&T can use for tv and film. They don't need DC publishing comics anymore.

And if the rumours of what Dan Didio wanted to do in 5G is true, then it is indeed the end of DC publishing as we know it. The main line of titles would be drastically alters, even worse than in the "New 52".

Barry Allen Flash is gone.
Bruce Wayne Batman is gone.
Clark Kent Superman is gone.
Hal Gordan Green Lantern is gone.
Diana Prince Wonder Woman is gone.

It is an Else World gone super crazy!

Instead of honouring the past, they want to destroy it.
Create new characters, not killing the old.

That would be Moronic. DC comics don't interest me at all but I suppose I'm a casual Batman fan. Casual meaning I liked the Tim Burton ones and Dark Knight Trilogy.

But yeah Batman is Bruce Wayne, Superman is Clark Kent and Dianna is Wonder Women.

Replacing Batman maybe, stupid idea but the other 2 would be difficult.

I have searched news and I have readen something about 5G will not be a reboot.

I remember the origin of the group "Infinity Inc" was a "second generation" from a parallel world, but after they did a brutal retcon.

We can agree DC will not be sold to Marvel, and this wouldn't like a licencing agreemet if they can't use new characters, or only Time Warner can make an animated adaptation based in some of those new stories.

If AT&T wanted to buy stock exchange packages it would rather to be secret to avoid the price increase.

My own suggestion is for the future "secret crisis" event is to create a new "elseworld", a new universe where DC and Marvel characters are together, but the planet is totally different (continents, nations, History). After the event this "pocket universe" would become public domain (but the main characters from the original comics) to be used for fan-fiction by the fandom.

Ashrym

Legend
That would be Moronic. DC comics don't interest me at all but I suppose I'm a casual Batman fan. Casual meaning I liked the Tim Burton ones and Dark Knight Trilogy.

But yeah Batman is Bruce Wayne, Superman is Clark Kent and Dianna is Wonder Women.

Replacing Batman maybe, stupid idea but the other 2 would be difficult.

That might have been part of the issue. Didio was pushing for his "5G" soft reboot while Tinion wanted it left out of his writing. it sounded like there was some conflict going on. Changing comics causes issues tied up in other media and merchandising as well.

I have searched news and I have readen something about 5G will not be a reboot.

I remember the origin of the group "Infinity Inc" was a "second generation" from a parallel world, but after they did a brutal retcon.

We can agree DC will not be sold to Marvel, and this wouldn't like a licencing agreemet if they can't use new characters, or only Time Warner can make an animated adaptation based in some of those new stories.

If AT&T wanted to buy stock exchange packages it would rather to be secret to avoid the price increase.

My own suggestion is for the future "secret crisis" event is to create a new "elseworld", a new universe where DC and Marvel characters are together, but the planet is totally different (continents, nations, History). After the event this "pocket universe" would become public domain (but the main characters from the original comics) to be used for fan-fiction by the fandom.

More like the Young Justice cartoon, I think. Aqualad is getting set up to replace Aquaman, for example. Rebirth wasn't supposed to be a reboot either but Manhattan altered reality a lot in the recent Doomsday Clock reboot and Perpetua appears to have reset most of reality (which also seems to have been ignored?) in the Justice League comics at the end of Doomwar. I'm not yet that clear on that part.

One of the rumors is that Batman is being replaced while Bruce Wayne steps down. This has been done multiple times in the past such when his back was broken (replaced by Azrael), when Darkseid sanctioned him (replaced by Dick Grayson), after he lost his memory and Jim Gordon replaced him, or the future with Terry McGinnis. It inevitably leads back to Bruce Wayne.

Didio's reasoning behind the changes was to create an entry point for new readers but I think I would like to see some statistics to back up that claim.

The hook for the new readers are the media titles: toys, videogames, cartoons, movies and teleseries. But today superheroes titles are too mature or too childish. And too powerful superheroes are as boring as those perfection Mary Sue from the fan-fiction.

And in the videogames the coherence with the continuity has to be sacrificied for the gameplay. If you play with Superman you can be defeated by Catwoman.

Zardnaar

Legend
The hook for the new readers are the media titles: toys, videogames, cartoons, movies and teleseries. But today superheroes titles are too mature or too childish. And too powerful superheroes are as boring as those perfection Mary Sue from the fan-fiction.

And in the videogames the coherence with the continuity has to be sacrificied for the gameplay. If you play with Superman you can be defeated by Catwoman.

I've never liked Superman that much. Two red, white and blue, to over the top, to goody two shoes, to boring. Also liked the 90s Blade movies.

Spiderman eh take it or leave it.

GreyLord

Legend
When The New 52 came out, the Batman titles were left unchanged, while all the others were effective.

Not exactly. I found the New 52 a good point to jump off of Batman comics due to the changes.

Before it, Dick Grayson was Batman. Bruce was going to allow him to stay Batman, at least in Gotham City. Bruce also was going to have other individuals act in the role of Batman in other cities via Batman Inc. where they would assume the role of Batman. Bruce would oversee all of it as the Primary Batman.

I actually liked the idea. It opened the door for many other comicbooks should they have allowed it.

Instead, they changed it so Dick Grayson became Nightwing again and did not stay Batman, and Bruce became Batman over Gotham once more. Also, it was only like (5 years I think) since the beginning, rather than the longer time period prior to the New 52.

Haven't kept up with Batman since except via the animated films. It's gotten silly from what I've seen from Bad Blood. Catwoman pregnant is even sillier.

I think Didio created spurts of great sales for brief moments with his constant 'events' and reboots, but ultimately with all these things got away from the core of what the superheroes really were and instead ultimately lost more over time than they actually gained in readership.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases