Marvel could publish DC.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Please, forgive this necromancy:

We can agree AT&T wants to keep the copyright of the IPs/franchises, but a licencing agremeet may be possible.

An intercompany crossover with Marvel is harder than in the past, but my opinion is that shouldn't be totally impossible.

I love speculation about future mergers and acquisitions but 2021 is not going to be the best year for AT&T/Warner/DC neither Disney, and something is happening what is will change all the entertainment industry forever.

* My true wish is a d20 Marvel and d20 DC superheroes TTRPGs and both published by WotC. It can't be worse than Batman vs Black Panther in Fortnite: Batle Royal, or Terminator vs (Star Wars) stormtroopers.

* Sometime I have imagined a mangwha version of DC and Marvel Universe, where the cultivators, supreme martial artists with ki techniques could defeat superhumans. (Why not? In Injustice videogame Harley Quinn can defeat Supergirl).

* Some superheroes are too powerful to be easily adapted into videogames, and that today is a serious handicap for those franchises.

DC Comics may be sold one day, but it won't be sold to Marvel (and by extension, Disney). Warner Bros is owned by AT&T, and that company will not sell one of their best IPs to their strongest competitor, not in a million years.

More likely, they'll just close the comics business, or continue to downsize it. They won't give up the IPs of Batman and Wonder Woman, they're way too valuable for merchandising and films.

embee

Lawyer by day. Rules lawyer by night.
The return of Amalgam Comics was prophesied as the beginning of the End Times.

Seriously, won't happen. Wouldn't clear antitrust.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
I'd guess the latter - DC becomes a bit of a legacy print. Its scale too small to really concern the balance sheets, but sort of necessary to claim legitimacy for the movie IP.

I agree here; they're already experimenting with this with their Black Label, and I suspect that this may become the only comics going forward. I'll add, they're also way better! I loved Batman: White Knight, for example.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
When I first heard of the rumors, I immediately thought of you @LuisCarlos17f . But aren't we a bit to late to the punchline? This is a couple of weeks old. I'm thinking they could potentially sell the publishing rights to a big company, perhaps Hasbro if they get the rights to making toys too? Hasbro is fresh off getting Power Rangers, perhaps they could be interested in getting Batman and co to?

Sorry, but I didn't find that new until today.

When I said 2021 may be a horrible year for AT&T and Disney I mean something can happen, causing the crack of both companies, or at least the main CEOs to be replaced. Then they could be forced to licence with a third party, and this would allow a intercompany crossover event.

I doubt Warner wanted to lincece DC to IDW if this publishes Marvel comics.

I also see the licencing can help to promote lesser knonwn characters, and we could find more skins after the miniserie Batman/Fortnite: Zero Point.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
When I first heard of the rumors, I immediately thought of you @LuisCarlos17f . But aren't we a bit to late to the punchline? This is a couple of weeks old. I'm thinking they could potentially sell the publishing rights to a big company, perhaps Hasbro if they get the rights to making toys too? Hasbro is fresh off getting Power Rangers, perhaps they could be interested in getting Batman and co to?
Huh. Hasbro buying DC wasn't on my 2021 bingo card. But definitely would be cool I think. Based on how they have handled WotC, and based on AT&T's behavior, this would def be better for fans.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Or DC dies. the free market has spoken.

There's too much potentially to be made in the movies. I think the comics being out of print will look really bad for the movies. So, they'll prop up the comics as a loss leader so long as it pays.

We have to remember lots of DC animations worked well in the box-office, and the most of TV shows have got enough audence to the seasons to be renewed, and no-Marvel/Star Wars action-live Disney movies haven't been good blockbusters.

If Hasbro bought DC Disney wouldn't be happy.

The first steps about a future acquisition shoould some intercopany crossovers to test the reaction by the fandom.

Remove ads