Masks of Nyarlathotep - Chapter 1: New York City

Festy_Dog

First Post
"Legal work?" Hamish repeated, his voice raised slightly in concern, "You a cop or a lawyer?"

Hamish would have preferred to hear 'lawyer' out of the two, the lesser of two problems, but as the Gilliadh brothers had some issues to iron out with the law neither answer would brighten his day.

Maerdwyn

First Post
William nods quickly but solemnly at Father Joe, glad for the support. Bolstered, he considers the Scot. No friend to the police, he notes, That probably goes for his brother, too. All right, then. He relaxes a bit more at the implication there the police aren't, and aren't likely to become, involved with whatever this is. He answers the man directly and evenly, in his Boston-tinged New Hampshire accent "I am a lawyah, sir. I'm picky with my clients these days, though. Fathuh Joe has helped me out befoah, so if he wants it, he'll have my help. So will his friends."

Thomas greets the new man: "Nice to meet you, Mr. Blair. However, I think we should start planning what we'll do now we've seen the horrors that the Ju-Ju House had in store for us. I think we should finish up our investigations here in New York before we do anything else. We should examine our findings in the Ju-Ju House and find out what they are. I also think we should pay a visit to Roger Carlyle's house, if it's still there, and find those books Elias had mentioned."

"Once we're through and we've gone to Elias' funeral, there's five more places I believe we should go to. These are London, Cairo, Kenya, Australia, and Shanghai."

"London and Cairo have the strongest leads, since they are the only places where we have the names of specific people. (Edward Gavigan and Faraz Najir, respectively.) Although we have clues in the other places, we wouldn't know where to start."

"I do wish to visit my fatherland once more, and we can start there by speaking to Edward Gavigan and finding out what he knows about the Carlyle Expedition. We can also speak to some policemen or people from Scotland Yard to find out what Carlyle did when he went there. After that, we can go to Cairo, see where they excavated, and speak to Faraz Najir. From there, the closest place is Kenya, where we can visit the massacre site. After Kenya, we can either go to the Stumbling Tiger Bar in Shanghai, China, or go investigate the Sand Bat Cult in Australia and see why Jackson Elias was so interested in it."

"Also, we should follow up on other leads. The black man who tried to kill Evelyn said something about the God of the Bloody Tongue's son being born on top of a mountain. So far, we also know the Cult of the Bloody Tongue is centered in Kenya, so I assume the mountain would be somewhere there. The Cult's god also has something to do with a black wind, so we could investigate that in Kenya."

"We should be sure to keep our eyes (or ears) open for any word on any of these in Kenya:
a Mountain of the Bloody Tongue, a Mountain of a God's Son, a Mountain of Black Wind, or anything else that sounds suspicious. Then again, it could be any ordinary mountain in Kenya."

[OOC: I felt like I needed to sum up our situation and plan ahead.]

Last edited:

Maerdwyn

First Post
William stammers a bit as the man speaks. He turns to Joe thinking, after all, that maybe this is all too much for him, "Kenya? Shanghai? What?" Then, spoken low and with a trace of fear in his voice as he thinks of the first time he met Joe, when the priest had lifted him out of a puddle of his own vomit just a couple blocks from here: "Are you skipping town, Father?"

Last edited:

Maerdwyn said:
William stammers a bit as the man speaks. He turns to Joe thinking, after all, that maybe this is all too much for him, "Kenya? Shanghai? What?" Then, spoken low and with a trace of fear in his voice as he thinks of the first time he met Joe, when the priest had lifted him out of a puddle of his own vomit just a couple blocks from here: "Are you skipping town, Father?"

"We very well may be, William. I don't know what exactly our next step will be but leaving the country is a possible turn that this investigation may take. I'll be leaving the church in good hands, rest assured."

When Thomas lays everything out, Joe raises an eyebrow slightly. "Yes Thomas, those are certainly good ideas. However, it has been a trying few days and Professor Carter is still..." he trails off a moment, considering his next word carefully, "recuperating. I think we need a breather, at least for a day or two to get our affairs in order and our heads on straight. After that, I believe we'll be able to tackle the investigation, wherever it may lead, more effectively."

VorpalBunny

Explorer
Toric_Arthendain said:
When Thomas lays everything out, Joe raises an eyebrow slightly. "Yes Thomas, those are certainly good ideas. However, it has been a trying few days and Professor Carter is still..." he trails off a moment, considering his next word carefully, "recuperating. I think we need a breather, at least for a day or two to get our affairs in order and our heads on straight. After that, I believe we'll be able to tackle the investigation, wherever it may lead, more effectively."

Carter nods his head.

"That does sound like a good idea. A few days, would definitely help me to... get my head on straight... as it were. While we're getting our affairs in order, I'd like to have a look at those relics we discovered. Maybe they could provide some more insight into what Jackson got us into?"

[OOC: Assuming there's no disagreement, and if we have a few days, Carter will take his time and take 20 on a Research check (+8) to study the relics.]

Last edited:

Yellow Sign

Explorer
Shorty looks over at Hamish. "Me brother and I could do some snooping around and see what we can come up with. We knows a few people that might have a clue about these crazies down in Harlem." He looks over at Father Joe. "We can meet back here in a couple of days if thats ok with tha Fatha."

Maerdwyn

First Post
"I'll do what you you need me to do, Father," William says, but really addressing it to everyone. "I'm good at tracking down information, if that's what will help you the most. What would you want me to start on?"

Joe shrugs. "I don't know, William. We certainly have plenty of leads to follow up on. What do the rest of you think?"

Joe plans to spend some time looking over the book titled Africa's Dark Sects. Beyond that, he will begin preparations for departing New York, including getting a temporary replacement priest for his church.

Well, I don't know about you guys, but I think it would be very important for us to find out if he has any living relatives. I'm not sure if his sister is still alive, but if she is, then we should speak to her.

Remove ads