• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MasterTools

poilbrun

Explorer
Laslo Tremaine said:
If Mastertools will let me take a core monster, apply a template and easily advance it or give it a core class, I will be pretty content. And from what I have heard, it will do just that.
I don't know if I'll be willing to shell out 40-50$ for a program that enables me to apply a template to and advance a monster!;)

Seriously, I do not usually take part in the "MT sucks - No, it rocks (or will)" threads, and for a simple reason : we still don't know how much it will be able to do, how much material it will include, how much it will be customizable, how much it will be buggy, and how much it will cost. Once I have the answers to all these questions, I'll make an opinion on MT. Until then, there are many other tools available for free, some more useful than others, and I'm quite happy to use them know. Only future will tell if I'll still be as happy to use them once MT is out, but one thing is for sure : I'll still use PCGen for a very simple reason, which is that I have A LOT of non-wotc material which won't be (quite logically) supported by MT, and as it seems that MT will be customizable to the point where you do not had any change to the rules, won't be for quite some time...

Saurstalk Tryst

First Post
My take on Generators...

Here's how I levy the generators against each other:

1. Jamis Buck's NPC Generator: This generator is fabulous for whipping up NPCs in no time flat. The only problem is that it still doesn't equip the NPCs with weapons, armor and materials. Jamis says that he's planning on changing that. Fingers are crossed. On the downside, no prestige classes and I can't recall the variety of races available. Either way, need a NPC in an emergency? Then this is for you.

2. PCGen: I truly like the variety of options that you can plug into a character. It amazing in this respect. Downsides? (1) My print option is still incredibly buggy. (Yes, I've downloaded the lib pdf into the PCGen lib folder!) (2) I believe that something's not accurate about the red-outs of various things, e.g., unable to equip certain weapons that my character should be able to use. (3) You can only equip one weapon at a time. (Yes, realistically - one at a time - BUT, it'd be nice to equip all weapons to see stats for combat with such weapons. Naturally, no DM will let you switch weapons during attacks without penalty. (4) Can't recall - are there prestige classes available? Haven't used them yet.

3. Master Tools: Very easy to use. But I do have SERIOUS problems with it: (1) can't equip magic items, weapons and armor, (2) no prestige classes and (3) no monster classes! NOTE: I've downloaded a couple of 3rd party datafixes, including one that has more races for PCs/NPCs ... but have yet to see one that let's you do with the generator those things that I currently have problems with it NOT doing.

Fast Learner

First Post
Re: My take on Generators...

Saurstalk Tryst said:
3. Master Tools: Very easy to use. But I do have SERIOUS problems with it: (1) can't equip magic items, weapons and armor, (2) no prestige classes and (3) no monster classes! NOTE: I've downloaded a couple of 3rd party datafixes, including one that has more races for PCs/NPCs ... but have yet to see one that let's you do with the generator those things that I currently have problems with it NOT doing.

That's not Master Tools. That's the Character Generator from the Player's Handbook. Only a few people (the beta testers, primarily) have seen Master Tools yet.

bushfire

First Post
Palcadon said:
Here's a link that explains a bit:

Master Tools

Actually it doesn't explain anything, only gives negative opinions on the future of MT and incorrect facts regarding the Infogrammes/Hasbro deal.

For any real information regarding MT you have to read what has been posted on the WizBoards by Ryan Dancey and Peter Kim. Not random postings by people with axes to grind on news sites.

MT is still very much alive and currently in beta test. Not a dead product and not vaporware.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Maybeso, but it was a pretty poor idea for WOTC to put up a message like that on their web site.

I mean,

"Some notable changes to Master Tools are currently in development.
Its release has been rescheduled. We will post further news when it is forthcoming."

Doesn't sound good. Even if accurate. Presumably that should have been mentioned on the WOTC website months ago, not now. And if not, well, it should be dated, so people interested iin it know when they said that.

Jasperak

Adventurer
You could always look on the bright side... Maybe they stopped and looked around and said this dog will not go anywhere. Maybe they are trying to give us what we want. I personally would much rather wait until it is right than have a buggy product in my hand. Imagine what 3e would be like if it came out a year earlier. I am tired of buying crap, waiting for updates/patches, and twiddling my thumbs leafing through a game manual because the game keeps crashing.

Give me a good program that works and has most that I need the program for, and I will probably buy it. Rush something out and I may just have to take a few weeks and learn PCgen.

Just look on the bright side of life.:)

Remove ads