Matrix 4 (Spoilers)

Mallus

Legend
Still no idea what that means or who "Io" or "lo" is
Io is the city Niobe runs. It’s probably I/O, ie input/output.

Resurrections isn’t going to work for people who aren’t at least tolerant of metafiction. But the Matrix has always been a bit meta, yeah?

bennet

Explorer
Io is the city Niobe runs. It’s probably I/O, ie input/output.

Resurrections isn’t going to work for people who aren’t at least tolerant of metafiction. But the Matrix has always been a bit meta, yeah?
Not sure which of my 12 issues being more tolerant of metafiction fixes.

Mallus

Legend
Not sure which of my 12 issues being more tolerant of metafiction fixes.
For starters, it would help you appreciate what the film was trying to do.

As for your points...

#1 The flashbacks are important because Matrix 4 is about The Matrix (ie, the film franchise). This is why I brought up metafiction.
#2 Zion was run by a Council of (Mostly) Elders. This is fairly common in genre fiction. Not sure why Old Niobe running Io is an issue.
#3 Bugs and her crew rescuing Neo was a provocation. There's peace between the humans & machines. Niobe was reacting to Bugs threatening that.
#5 That scene was beautifully shot (the warm colors, the Buddhist lake house). And it starts with Morpheus tossing what looks like a cocktail out a window, which made me laugh.
#6 The French guy was the Merovingian from Matrix 2. He was a metafictional joke about meaningless cameos in sequels/reboots.
#7 Despite leaning heavily into metafiction, Matrix 4 is still a sci-fi movie. The transhuman heist to free Trinity from her pod was a cool bit of sci-fi.
#8 The digital natives incarnating in the physical world as nanomachines clouds was clever - you're right, though, could have used more personality when in cloud-mode.
#10 It changed into a zombie video game.
#11) Well he is The One (mostly). God Mode cheats are kinda his thing.
#12. You're mad because Trinity got to fly this time? Can't help you with that.

I thought 4 was really interesting. But I admit, it's definitely not for everyone. In part, that's why I like it - expensive blockbusters that still feel like personal films are rare (and rarely bit hits - James Gunn & Taika Watiti movies being some of the exceptions).

Last edited:

Stalker0

Legend
#12. You're mad because Trinity got to fly this time? Can't help you with that.
The issue here is not the notion that Trinity gets to be as cool as Neo and have similar powers. The issue....which is the issue with the entire movie...is how.

If the movie wants to say that Neo's love allowed him to impress into Trinity some of his powers...ok. If the movie wants to say that the resurrection of them both copied some of Neo's power into Trinity....ok. If the movie wants to say that in Trinity's new life she exhibited the same "life choices" that Neo did in his original life which triggered the "systemic anomaly"...ok.

There are ways to do it, but the movie chooses to abandon all rationale for a "cool scene". That happens way too damn often in movies now a days and I'm tired of it. You don't get to set up a narrative that Neo is a special anomaly due to a very specific set of circumstances and choices in his life, a power that is so special we literally call him "The One".....and then just give that to another character with no explanation. That is lazy storytelling at its worst.

And that is fundamentally my issue with the whole movie...its a terrible story. Plot just happens with no explanation, characters act with no real motivation. I don't care that the story is meta or a commentary on modern XYZ if its a crap story.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
. . . the movie chooses to abandon all rationale for a "cool scene". That happens way too damn often in movies now a days and I'm tired of it. You don't get to set up a narrative that Neo is a special anomaly due to a very specific set of circumstances and choices in his life, a power that is so special we literally call him "The One".....and then just give that to another character with no explanation. That is lazy storytelling at its worst.

And that is fundamentally my issue with the whole movie...its a terrible story. Plot just happens with no explanation, characters act with no real motivation. I don't care that the story is meta or a commentary on modern XYZ if its a crap story.
Obviously, Tiffany is the Plus One because she digs motorcycles. /snark

Good point about having reasons, but there wasn't a whole lot of reasoning behind Mr. Anderson being the One either. The first movie nodded at Neo's special abilities coming from proximity to Trinity (saving her from crashing, dodging bullets, getting a smooch), so it's consistent (if nothing else) for 4 to nod at the same source of anomaly: proximity/love.

Oracle: "Being the One is like being in love . . . "

Remove ads