D&D 5E Matt Mercer Just Changed My Mind About Multiclassing

ECMO3

Hero
Required viewing: "Handbooker Helper: Multiclassing," April 10, 2019:

Here's the deal. I've always hated multiclassing in 5th Edition. The prerequisites seemed unnecessary, the "always stack except when they don't" nature of class features, and the horrible horrible nightmare of what happens when a spellcaster takes levels of another spellcaster...and for what? some weapon proficiencies and maybe a class feature or two? It just never seemed like it was worth all of the trouble.

And then I watched this little introduction/how-to video. Matt does a great job of explaining how prerequisites work, how class features stack (or don't), and how to sort Hit Dice and spells out. It's not like I'd never heard this stuff before--I've read the rules, plus several threads on ENWorld dedicated to that topic--but for whatever reason, this campy how-to made the lights come on for me. Matt did in 8 minutes what nobody else could do in half a decade: he made 5E multiclassing sound simple and interesting. I used to be a solid "no" when my players asked about that optional rule, but now I'm all "sure, let's go for it."

It was the first time the Internet has ever changed my mind about something D&D-related. I'm not sure what to think anymore. What's happening to me?? What have I become?!?

Seriously though: has the Internet ever changed your mind about the way you run your game? Tell us a story.

(As a side note, if you aren't watching the "Handbooker Helper" video series, you are really missing out. Yes, they are campy and cringy for seasoned gamers, but they are also insightful and fun. I've learned a great deal from watching them, and not just about multiclassing.)
I have been playing 5E D&D for 5 years and wizards (specifically bladesingers) are the only class I have played beyond level 4 without a dip or multiclass.

As far as spellcasters, mutliclassing gives you a ton of spells prepared, especially if you pick up spell half feats like Fey Touched, Shadow Touched and Telepathic. I am playing a 10th-level human Arcane Trickster/Bladesinger (currently 4/6) who took all three of these feats and with an 18 intelligence she has 19 spells prepared and 7 cantrips is not even a full 10th-level caster. Sure she has 4th level slots with no 4th-level spells, but she made sure to have spells that can be upcast.

Last edited:

el-remmen

Moderator Emeritus
I love multiclassing. As a player I almost always imagine my characters doing it at some point earlier or later and as a DM I love when my players choose to do it. That said, I like it as a response to what is happening in the game and the development of the character, rather than chasing a "build."

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
I have been playing D&D for 5 years and wizards (specifically bladesingers) are the only class I have played beyond level 4 without a dip or multiclass.

As far as spellcasters, mutliclassing gives you a ton of spells prepared, especially if you pick up spell half feats like Fey Touched, Shadow Touched and Telepathic. I am playing a 10th-level human Arcane Trickster/Bladesinger (currently 4/6) who took all three of these feats and with an 18 intelligence she has 19 spells prepared and 7 cantrips is not even a full 10th-level caster. Sure she has 4th level slots with no 4th-level spells, but she made sure to have spells that can be upcast.
The two bolded portions are completely contradictory. :p

I love multiclassing. As a player I almost always imagine my characters doing it at some point earlier or later and as a DM I love when my players choose to do it. That said, I like it as a response to what is happening in the game and the development of the character, rather than chasing a "build."
I also love the ability to multiclass.
Everyone who says, 5e isn't customizable enough somehow misses how many (viable) combinations are possible with that simple rule.

Edit: also, many people use 1 or 2 level dip as a curse word. If you go back to ADnD, multiclassing basically was putting you about 1 level behind a single classed character.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
No. It is not. The mentioned character in the lower bolded part does not have to be the one mentioned in the upper one.
You have your logics mixed up.
Re-read it. He says that in his 5 years, wizards and specifically bladesingers are the only class that he has played past level 4 without multiclassing. He is talking about the entire class there, not specific characters. Then he mentioned a specific bladesinger he has multiclassed with that is past level 4. That's contradictory.

Remove ads