• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Max Skill Ranks

Brown Jenkin

First Post
I have a question that I should probably be able to find the answer too but I can't see to be able to.

The question is about max skill ranks and multiclassing. If a character starts a level 1 with a skill that is cross class they are at half the max skill ranks as one that is a class skill. (3+level)/2 = Max cross class skill ranks. So far so good.

Now lets say the character multiclasses to another class where that previously cross class skill is now a class skill for the new class. Can the character dump skill points into that skill now to reach a max skill rank of (3+ total level) or is it [(3+level class A)/2] + level class B. If it is (3+total level) what happens if they switch back to class A, are they now no longer able to put points in until (3+ total level)/2 is greater than what they already have.

Shape D.

First Post
Yes as far as totals go a class skill for one class = a class skill for all classes.

Although the cost of putting skill points into the skill is based off what class you are leveling up in currently.

Thurbane

First Post
Max ranks for any skills that has ever been a class skill for you is total levels + 3, 1/2 that if it's never been a class skill for you. Skills still cost 2 for 1 if they are not class skills for the current level bestowing the skill points.

Please correct me if I have that mixed up! :p

Ranger REG

Explorer
Brown Jenkin said:
I have a question that I should probably be able to find the answer too but I can't see to be able to.

The question is about max skill ranks and multiclassing. If a character starts a level 1 with a skill that is cross class they are at half the max skill ranks as one that is a class skill. (3+level)/2 = Max cross class skill ranks. So far so good.

Now lets say the character multiclasses to another class where that previously cross class skill is now a class skill for the new class. Can the character dump skill points into that skill now to reach a max skill rank of (3+ total level) or is it [(3+level class A)/2] + level class B.
3 + total character level.

If you multiclass back to your first class, it's still 3 + total character level. However, because you're using skill points alloted from that first class that considers it a cross-class skill, you need to pay 2 skill points for 1 rank increase.

Last edited:

Remove ads