• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Pathfinder 1E May there be non-evil societies of always evil races? What would they be like?

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
You don't have to explain it to the players ahead of time. You tell them what they know at the time the campaign starts. Through the course of the campaign you have them discover new "truths," or at least different interpretations of the world. Their characters may find themselves enlightened, or may have their base assumptions proven to be "true." As writers are often told, "show, don't tell."

That's the way the real world works, as well. We learn certain ways of viewing the world when we are young. As adults, we may continue to embrace what we are taught, or we may end up coming across new information or ideas that lead us to reevaluate it.

In my worlds, I strive for as much depth and nuance as I can. I like to keep things as realistic as possible, within the boundaries of the world that I have set. That's particularly true of the types of choices characters have to make. Rarely do I put in anything that is 100% good or 100% evil in all circumstances.

I designed my Kaidan setting of Japanese horror (PFRPG) to be like Ravenloft in that way - what you, as an adventurer, think you know about the world is completely wrong, you can only and probably never completely know all the dark secrets unless you live it, to learn the truth (and how doomed you really are...)

Last edited:

To me, if players are extremely knowledgeable about every aspect of the world in which they are playing, you lose some of the ability to use mystery and surprise as part of the game experience. I don't like running games that are liked souped-up versions of video games and MMOs, where casting a spell this way always gives the same exact result, an armored soldier with a battleaxe will always defeat a less-experienced guy with a knife, every member of X race is violent, and every monster fights the same way as every other member of his/her species. I like to take all the different variables and situations into account.

If the characters have never been to a particular distant land, have never met anyone who has visited it, and have never read about it, they shouldn't know what to expect. Even if they have talked to people and/or read about it, there is no reason to suspect that what they have learned is complete or accurate information. There is no reason to suppose that their own individual experiences in that land (assuming they reach it) are indicative of the experiences that others have when they travel there, either.

(Just to use one real-world example, having done a lot of international travel, I have encountered many occasions where my companions and I have returned with vastly different experiences and opinions of the places we visited.)

That's one reason that I tend to prefer to use original species (I don't like the term "monsters" in this context) in my game worlds. Most experienced players have a certain set of assumptions about goblins, orcs, dragons, gnolls, etc. I like to hit them with things that are complete unknowns. That way, when they encounter something in the woods (or wherever), they don't know if it will be friendly, indifferent, or hostile. If it's hostile, they don't know what weapons or substances will work best on it. They don't know if it is likely to fight to the death, or flee if things get rough. They don't know how intelligent it is, how tough it is, or how best to communicate with it. They have to learn these things through trial and error, and live with the results and consequences, whatever they may be.

When I do use a standard "monster," it may or may not have the same stats listed in the official books. It all depends on whether I agree with those stats or not, and what roles that species tends to play in my world.

World-building is half the fun for me when I GM, though. I know that there are people who aren't as into that as I am, and prefer to rely on already-established worlds. There's absolutely nothing wrong with either approach. I look for players who can enjoy my style of GMing, and (when I play) for GMs who have a style I can enjoy, whether it's similar to my GMing style or not.

Starfox

Hero
Races, evil or not, ade devices to be used in a story or plot. If it fits your game to have morally grey races, go ahead. If you want a more standard black and white game, go ahead.

Remove ads