• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Maybe It's Time for a Break?

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
Supporter
I definitely get where you're coming from. Only this morning, I was eating breakfast at Jim's with my daughter, lamenting my lack of enthusiasm about an upcoming FG D&D5e game I have scheduled to run when she looked at me, frowned and said: "You really should just wrap that up and quit running the games. Find something other than D&D to do."
Just a quick followup on my end: My FG D&D 5e game has wrapped up way early as... well... turns out my players are brilliant and figured out the mystery. Which lead to them skipping over a bunch of stuff. And then the BBG when down under a well-prepared hail of attacks.

So my last two sessions don't have to happen anymore! Yippee! Now I'm taking a well deserved break from GM/DMing. Gonna read the new Eberron book and chill. I did promise to drop in and play in my friend's FG game, though. But that's waaaay less stress than running the game.

What's the update with you, @Retreater ?

Retreater

Legend
@Doc_Klueless, I have not GMed much lately. I have been working on making modular dungeon tiles (from Black Magic Craft), and painting some minis. I jumped in as a guest player in a one shot at my fiancee's D&D group at a Friendsgiving party.
I've also been lurking around on here, but otherwise not reading much about the hobby. I've been watching a lot of hockey, finishing up some video games, and loving on my dogs. I've been thinking about what to do next, gaming-wise, but nothing is jumping out yet; and more importantly, I still don't have a dedicated group.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A few years ago, I realized I had run two of my worst ever campaigns and co-GMed a third that rapidly fizzled. Some hard introspection IDed the reasons why, and I realized I needed a break.

I haven’t run a game in 7 years or so.

Part of that is because I haven’t pushed the issue. Over these years, I have continued to have ideas for campaigns- some of which I have shared here- but what I’ve wanted to run hasn’t appealed to many of the guys in the group- a key facto in one of my failed campaigns.

So unless & until there’s a meeting of minds, I’m staying on the sidelines.

Remove ads