• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MCDM's New Tactical TTRPG Hits $1M Crowdfunding On First Day!

Tactical TTRPG focuses on heroes fighting monsters with a combat-oriented system.

t1711elj9hc26fn0vriuji65m5mp.jpeg

Matt Colville's MCDM is no stranger to crowdfunding, with three million dollar Kickstarters already under its belt. With the launch of The MCDM RPG, that makes four!

This new game is not a D&D variant or a supplement for D&D, which is what MCDM has focussed on so far. This is an all-new game which concentrates on tactical play, with a fulfilment goal of July 2025. It comes in two books--a 400-page 'Heroes' book and a 'Monsters' book which is an adaption of the existing Flee, Mortals!

The game takes aim at traditional d20 fantasy gaming, referring to the burden of 'sacred cows from the 1970s', but point out that it's not a dungeon crawling or exploration game--its core activity is fighting monsters. The system is geared towards tactical combat--you roll 2d6, add an attribute, and do that damage; there's no separate attack roll.

At $40 for the base Heroes PDF and $70 for the hardcover (though there are discounts for both books if you buy them together), it's not a cheap buy-in, but with over 4,000 backers already that's not deterring anybody!

Even more ambitiously, one of the stretch goals is a Virtual Tabletop (VTT). There's already a working prototype of it.

Tactician.png
Kits.png

It looks absolutely fantastic in both rules and art terms. I backed it immediately for both books.

Interesting to see how D&D-ish art for new products coming out in 2024 and later is looking quite different to D&D-ish art for products for the last ten years. The whole "heavy use of pink and purple colour schemes, Star Trek meets the renaissance outfits, rather fanciful weapons and armour" thing seems to have declined significantly, and it almost looks like something akin a slightly more realist (at least re: heavy armour) Dungeonpunk looks - the little art I've seen from 2024 seemed to be in the same direction, albeit more stylized still. Things look less "comfy" and more violent.

Also just absolutely love that Tactician image - instantly sells me on a class that, essentially, a Fighter with a different focus, not something I'd normally be excited about. The design of the class from what we see also seems excellent - like a support class who is also a badass.

With respect, I think you misunderstood. It's not that there are no dungeons and no exploration -- it's safe to assume will be gobs of both. It's just that it isn't a dungeons/exploration game in the same sense that 1e was, or Shadowdark is. Shadowdark makes a point of prohibiting darkvision and any magical light sources, so even high-level characters have to constantly fret about how many torches they have. You could have a +30 to hit, but once your light runs out, you're gonna die. This game is not that. Matt is a big fan of Shadowdark, but he's going for something different here. Maybe that's your thing and maybe it isn't, but there will be plenty of dungeons and exploration, just no torch-counting.
Yeah that's a profound misunderstanding of their approach, you've got it right - it's just not focused on them, which is a strong differentiator from exactly games like Shadowdark, and it's part of why I'm excited about this.

I already have a load of games like Shadowdark - basically any OSR game is somewhere near it, whether closer or further - the last time I had a game like this was 4E, and that had a load of problems as result of trying to be D&D, and that this very much appears to be solving whilst offering something 15 years on in terms of development of TT game design (which has come a long way in that period).

ismrpg

Villager
I'm really happy to see someone take on the D&D beast and MCDM seem to be the ones with enough audience to do it.

Very surprised to see how much support this essentially untested RPG is getting with no play content and rules that just don't seem that innovative. Very surprised. So many restrictions on players - classes and kits etc, sticking with a very D&Desque world etc.

They have obviously done an amazing job at establishing an audience who trusts them!

rules that just don't seem that innovative
As compared to what, though?

Conceptually, sure, if we wanna get fancy, all the ideas they're explaining have been tried out before in various forms, by various TT RPGs (especially 4E), most of those deeply obscure indies which 90% of people backing this won't even have heard of. But D&D is 100% manufactured from recycled ideas and that's mega-popular, so not sure novelty of individual rules per se matters that much.

But this is the first time I've seen all the rules in the same place, and they're bent towards a very different end to what they typically - in indies which use rules like this, it's rarely in the service of combat, glorious battle, or at least not openly.

I will say obviously there are real similarities to Lancer, but that derives from them having very similar goals, but Lancer has a very specific setting, and one, which whilst extremely cool, has a significant narrower appeal. Also, frankly, even from what we've seen, Lancer is about 1/10th as good at explaining and presenting rules, classes, etc. than MCDM is. I don't think that's just high production values - though they are high - it's also just good writing and real fervour to get people to understand.

(Icon also has some similarities, but is worse-presented than Lancer, despite truly beautiful art, it takes genuine effort to unravel how the game works from the free PDFs.)

They have obviously done an amazing job at establishing an audience who trusts them!
I think a lot of people backing this aren't the audience. I know I'm not.

I don't watch his streams, and I find Matt to be a bit, well, over the top and kind of excessively Gen X in stuff he does. But like, the design here? That's what I want. That's what I've been waiting for.

I think that's what's really going on here. Very games have dared to say "What if combat was actually fun?". 5E kinda sidles up to the idea, but it's desperately afraid of scaring the horses, and refuses to engage with any really fun approach to combat, instead of going with a nicely accessible one. Most indie TT RPGs, even large/expensive ones have, I dunno how to put this super-politely, but a slightly snobby attitude to combat, like, you shouldn't be enjoying this you hogs, you slavering hounds. Violence is a bad thing bad people do and it's not big or cool even though we both kinda know it totally is in an RPG context. That's not a new attitude either - you can go back to say, Cyberpunk 2020 in the 1990s, and read Listen Up, You Primitive Screwheads! and it's very clearly Mike Pondsmith's public-facing attitude, despite him being quite conflicted on the issue.

MCDM is quite clearly devoted to combat being awesome, being tactical, being fun, and the sort of faux-simulation 5E and many OSR games flirt with can burn in its golden hell (and Ninja Scroll is indeed the sort of thing that works better with these kind of rules than 5E-style rules).

TLDR: It's doing what Lancer did, but it's doing it better and with a vastly more mainstream genre - heroic high fantasy.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Interesting to see how D&D-ish art for new products coming out in 2024 and later is looking quite different to D&D-ish art for products for the last ten years. The whole "heavy use of pink and purple colour schemes, Star Trek meets the renaissance outfits, rather fanciful weapons and armour" thing seems to have declined significantly, and it almost looks like something akin a slightly more realist (at least re: heavy armour) Dungeonpunk looks - the little art I've seen from 2024 seemed to be in the same direction, albeit more stylized still. Things look less "comfy" and more violent.
I think that is, unfortunately, a reflection of how the political and social climate has changed between 2014 and 2023, more or less across the board.

Remove ads

Remove ads