• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E MCing Barbarian and Paladin, can you Divine Smite while raging? It ...

Bryk

First Post
MCing Barbarian and Paladin, can you Divine Smite while raging? It says you can't cast spells or maintain concentration, but divine smite doesn't say it is a spell, just that it uses a spell slot. I imagine Lay on Hands can be used as well?

Jer

Legend
Supporter
I imagine Lay on Hands can be used as well?

This is one that I would think the ruling would vary from table to table but as a DM I have to say that if one of my players were playing a Barbarian/Paladin MC I would expect him/her to use Lay on Hands while raging. And describe how they interact with each other because that could be awesome.

(I'd also allow Divine Smite while raging based both on the reading of the text that you give here - that it isn't a "spell", just a special ability that costs a spell slot - and because I don't see a mechanical reason why it would be unbalanced at first glance. I'd reserve the right to nerf it later if it turned out to be too good of a combo, but the Holy Avenger Full Of Righteous Fury sounds like a fun enough concept that I would want to see it work.)

ephemeron

Explorer
This is one that I would think the ruling would vary from table to table but as a DM I have to say that if one of my players were playing a Barbarian/Paladin MC I would expect him/her to use Lay on Hands while raging. And describe how they interact with each other because that could be awesome.
My first reaction was to allow rage-smiting but not laying on hands. But Jer makes a very good point.

Li Shenron

Legend
MCing Barbarian and Paladin, can you Divine Smite while raging? It says you can't cast spells or maintain concentration, but divine smite doesn't say it is a spell, just that it uses a spell slot. I imagine Lay on Hands can be used as well?

If it says they aren't spells, but "costs" you to burn spell slots, I'd probably allow them while raging.

The Smite while Raging doesn't have particular narrative problems, unless you want them to be.

As for Lay on Hands, I could definitely see some narrative conflict... but you can always change the fluff, perhaps the Barb/Pally doesn't gently lay his hands on you... perhaps he grabs you by the neck, lift you up above his towering stature, shake you like a baby's rattle and shouts "get up and keep fighting you dorky moron!!!". And then you get up, and fight.

Lalato

Adventurer
Yep. I see the Barb/Pally lay on hands as more a smack to the head and a "Get up! Keep Fighting!" Or even a "Yippee-kai-yay!!!"

Plaguescarred

D&D Playtester for WoTC since 2012
Even if it uses the same ressource (spell slot) if it can still be used even while within a silence spell, it shouldn't count as casting a spell and thus both should be usable while raging IMO.

Psikerlord#

Explorer
If it says they aren't spells, but "costs" you to burn spell slots, I'd probably allow them while raging.

The Smite while Raging doesn't have particular narrative problems, unless you want them to be.

As for Lay on Hands, I could definitely see some narrative conflict... but you can always change the fluff, perhaps the Barb/Pally doesn't gently lay his hands on you... perhaps he grabs you by the neck, lift you up above his towering stature, shake you like a baby's rattle and shouts "get up and keep fighting you dorky moron!!!". And then you get up, and fight.

hahaha I love it, drags his comrade up and throws him back into the fight, "Get back in there!"

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads