• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D General me finally making the big monk discussion thread

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
As for the maneuvers, lets just give the monk some BM maneuvers at the cost of 1 ki, using the martial art die as the Superiority Dice.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
meh, I'd just give the base monk the same lay on hand feature as the Paladin.
if a ridiculously designed class such as the Paladin can have a healing pool in addition to his DNDwiki-adjacent features, I guess we dont have to worry about giving the Monk a little more staying power.
why would monk have that ability as I do not see how it is getting this healing ability, something closer to second wind would be better unless you got a decent idea of how the monk is doing the healing?

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
those are three somehow related but utterly different things.
plus it needs more survivability not necessarily healing other classes ability.

A) The important part is that ''doing magical stuff with their hands through sheer willpower'' is the monk thing.
B) Lay on hand can be used on anybody. Why restrict the healing on ''self''? Its not like monks needs more arbitrary restrictions.

Mind of tempest

A) The important part is that ''doing magical stuff with their hands through sheer willpower'' is the monk thing.
B) Lay on hand can be used on anybody. Why restrict the healing on ''self''? Its not like monks needs more arbitrary restrictions.
I do not know it just does not seem like it would fit, like if a champion fighter just shot a 9th level fireball out of nowhere.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
okay so healing needs to be better but ides on how to make grappling better is nice.

anyone got interesting ideas for subclasses?
I am working on a subclass that focuses on a sort of mystical soft kung fu perception of the opponent, and the world around you, so we're talking tremorsense, learning stats of enemies as you fight them, and enhanced defense and counter-attacking.

Combine that with the expansion of grappling I'm working on, and you can make a takedown artist who never kills anyone, but is constantly disarming, stunning, throwing, pinning, locking, etc, including as a reaction to making an attack miss.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
As for healing, just increase the healing to roughly the amount of damage you get from 1 ki. Could do with 2d6+wisdom modifier and then scale the dice at the same levels as martial arts, and be close enough. I do think that it should be less effective, by the numbers, than using ki for other things. It always works. You can waste Flurry by rolling poorly, and end up doing nothing, so an ability that can't be thus wasted should do slightly less.

Mind of tempest

I am working on a subclass that focuses on a sort of mystical soft kung fu perception of the opponent, and the world around you, so we're talking tremorsense, learning stats of enemies as you fight them, and enhanced defense and counter-attacking.

Combine that with the expansion of grappling I'm working on, and you can make a takedown artist who never kills anyone, but is constantly disarming, stunning, throwing, pinning, locking, etc, including as a reaction to making an attack miss.
seems like a gimmick subclass does it have more meat to it?
As for healing, just increase the healing to roughly the amount of damage you get from 1 ki. Could do with 2d6+wisdom modifier and then scale the dice at the same levels as martial arts, and be close enough. I do think that it should be less effective, by the numbers, than using ki for other things. It always works. You can waste Flurry by rolling poorly, and end up doing nothing, so an ability that can't be thus wasted should do slightly less.
the ki would have to be buffed a bit more than the basic ki increase fixes people use.

Some ideas, real quick.

Basic grappling is solid. All I'd add as special moves anyone can do are;

• Throw - When you have a creature grappled you can use an attack to slam them to the ground or against an object or other creature. Make opposed Athletics check, if you win, you deal damage to the target equal to 1d6 + your strength modifier and they are either knocked prone, or thrown up to 10ft. If you choose to throw them into another creature or object, the creature or object also takes the damage.
  • Reversal - When you are grappled, use an attack to try to reverse the grapple. (This means you could reverse, and then use a second attack to throw, trip, etc)
  • Lock - When you have a target grappled, you can use an attack to perform a lock. Make an unarmed attack, and if you hit the target takes damage equal to your strength modifier at the start of it's turns until it escapes from the grapple. You can choose to forgo the damage, and instead restrict their behavior. The target either cannot speak, cannot perform somatic spell components or perform other fine motor actions, or cannot take reactions.

Then, I'd rewrite the terrible Grappler feat, specifically the second bullet point. Only the other creature is restrained. I'd add a third bullet that allows you to use a reaction when a creature tries to grapple you and fails, to instead grapple them an perform a Throw, Lock, or an unarmed melee weapon attack against them.

Next, the Monk. I'd add to Martial Artist a bullet point that you can use Dex for any attack or damage as part of grappling, and can use Acrobatics to attempt to grapple. Then, I'd add to Ki Features that you can spend 1 ki to grapple as part of an attack with your unarmed strike.
You actually don't really need reverse. You can already counter a grapple with a shove or a grab yourself. If you have secondary attacks, that already is the way to escape a grab.

Remove ads