D&D General me finally making the big monk discussion thread

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I think a simpler system instead of adding a reversal special ability is just to allow the monk to make multiple grapple/escape checks in a round (one per attack given up).

So, a 1st level monk could escape a grapple a d then grab the opponent. They could further pin or throw or whatever other maneuver if they spend one of their Ki points for a third attack.
They can do that already.

I have always played that escaping took an entire action, not just a single attack so that you couldn't escape and grapple on the same turn.
That is correct, however shoving the grappler away from you will automatically break most grapples, and then you can move up and make a grapple of your own.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
That is correct, however shoving the grappler away from you will automatically break most grapples, and then you can move up and make a grapple of your own.
I can't say I've ever shoved as a player or ruled shoving as a GM....but if the rules for shoving are identical to grappling then that's a very strong case for saying escape should be an attack substitute as opposed to an action by itself in the core rules.

It's odd how different tables have different metas. We almost never grapple, and have never shoved OR helped in combat that I can recall. We also never counter spell which seems a popular tactic for most casters that can do so.

Stalker0

Legend
It's odd how different tables have different metas. We almost never grapple, and have never shoved OR helped in combat that I can recall. We also never counter spell which seems a popular tactic for most casters that can do so.
It always comes down to the "ice breaker". Either the player or DM who busts out this tactic, and suddenly the scales fall from the players eyes and they realize how cool it is. Then suddenly it sees a lot more use.

That's how it usually goes at my table.

Remove ads