Pathfinder 1E Me Oh, My Oh! A Pathfinder Forum!

Erik Mona

Adventurer
Let's breathe a little more life into this old OGL forum, shall we?

I have heard some posters call it a neglected corner of EN World, a ghetto, if you will.

So, my friends, Let's Clean Up the Ghetto!

It's been a little more than a week since Paizo announced the Open Playtest of the new Pathfinder RPG 3.5 legacy system, and already more than 10,000 gamers have downloaded the Alpha release 1. Our message boards have exploded with playtest comments and rules development discussions unlike anything I have ever seen.

It is an enormously exciting time for Paizo as a company, and I think it is an enormously exciting time for the RPG industry in general. Our decision to stick with 3.5 is a commitment to the principles of the 3.5 OGL, the bedrock of a movement that transformed the industry in 2000 and that introduced names like Mike Mearls, Monte Cook, and Joe Goodman to tens of thousands of gamers.

EN World has been, bar none, THE most important online community to the development of the OGL rules. The ENnies, formed to recognize excellence in the d20 publishing field, grew out of this community to become the most prestigious professional award in gaming, eclipsing the far more established Origins Awards as a sign of quality (and popularity).

EN World is important to the ongoing life of the Open Gaming movement, and for that reason I plan to keep a close eye on this new Pathfinder/OGL forum, and I'll be happy to comment and answer questions about Pathfinder and Paizo's plans for the future.

It makes sense that the moderators have moved Pathfinder discussion to the OGL forum. The project would be impossible without the OGL. As 100% of the rules in all Pathfinder products are released as open content for other publishers and fans to use as they please, I have a feeling we will find a very comfortable home here.

I hope you'll join in the Pathfinder RPG Alpha playtest, and I hope to see you around this forum in the future!

--Erik Mona
Publisher
Paizo Publishing, LLC

crow81

First Post
This just became my new favorite place on En World.

Mr Mona since I have your attention (hopefully) I was wondering what if any plans does Paizo have to adjust monsters. The Pathfinder Alpha source book makes all the classes stronger. Is the intent to also beef up the monsters?

Any info would be great

Thanks

Rich

pawsplay

Hero
Pathfinder looks nice, but unfortunately, in many ways seems to have gone in the same direction as 4e. So maybe not my cuppa.

Jason Bulmahn

Adventurer
crow81 said:
This just became my new favorite place on En World.

Mr Mona since I have your attention (hopefully) I was wondering what if any plans does Paizo have to adjust monsters. The Pathfinder Alpha source book makes all the classes stronger. Is the intent to also beef up the monsters?

Any info would be great

Thanks

Rich

Rich,

I am hoping to include some extensive notes on using monsters with the Pathfinder RPG to keep them on par with some slightly upgraded PC classes. On the whole though, this should not be necessary.

Beyond that, if this goes the way I am hoping, a manual of monsters for the game gets put on the schedule for next year.

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer
Paizo Publishing

Angellis_ater

First Post
Looking forward to seeing both the "Manual of Monsters", the Beta/Final releases of Pathfinder as well as seeing what kind of support will be forthcoming for the project.

Geron Raveneye

Explorer
IuztheEvil said:
Rich,

I am hoping to include some extensive notes on using monsters with the Pathfinder RPG to keep them on par with some slightly upgraded PC classes. On the whole though, this should not be necessary.

Beyond that, if this goes the way I am hoping, a manual of monsters for the game gets put on the schedule for next year.

Jason Bulmahn
Lead Designer
Paizo Publishing

So will the Pathfinder RPG book contain a collection of baseline monsters, and the Pathfinder MM will be an expansion? Or no monsters in the RPG book and a stand-alone MM later? :) I think 420 pages should be enough to include a few handfuls of monsters, right? :D

Gotham Gamemaster

First Post
Erik, happy to be here!

Both groups that I am a part of in the Big Apple have converted our games to Pathfinder RPG. No surprise there, I suppose, since one group is playing a Runelords game (GM) and the other is Crimson Throne (player). What does surprise me, however, is that my attraction to Pathfinder lies only partly in the rules but mainly in the setting.

The Pathfinder Chronicles setting presents a classic game world with a thoroughly modern feel--without resorting to magic tech, apocalyptic makeovers, dragon-men, or similar gimmicks. That's creativity.

As for the rules, I want Pathfinder to be backwards-compatible, yes. But I don't want it to be BACKWARDS. Please continue evolving the elements of the game while remaining true to the spirit of the past.

If I may, might I suggest buying Ad Space here on EN World so that Pathfinder stays front and center? Even if it does not directly increase sales, it will still increase visibility and if possible, you can provide updates (Version 1.1 released!) etc.

Remove ads