D&D 5E Mearls' "Firing" tweet

Status
Not open for further replies.
And I am think he should just stick to what he knows like designing new initiative systems and thinking up new names for the Psionicist for example.
And designing the best selling version of D&D to date.

Frankly I think that the guy who designed a game that uses three 300+ page books should look in the mirror before he complains about other people using rules as a gatekeeper..
All editions of D&D have giant rulebooks. He's the one that shortened into to a hundred page PDF.

Your deflection in answering the question is noted.

CM

Adventurer
Is this a big city thing? I have literally never seen anyone challenge anyone else's 'geek cred'

I knew about the 2nd one, not the 1st. Still doesn't invalidate his opinion about level 36 IMHO, I just won't support him financially with any of his future work. Consequences;).

Amusingly, I knew about the first and not the second, commented on the the situation, and end up getting harassed prety several on Twitter by people who thought I as minimizing his threat of blacklisting....

Hussar

Legend
Exactly, so now Mearls can say what he wants and has to accept the consequences.

The consequences being being seen as a decent human being and garnering the support of the vast majority of people who think similarly to him.

I think I can live with those consequences.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'm talking about it like that because doxxing and the resulting threats are very real issues women face online. And no amount of "I'm going to do what I want to do, screw them!" is going to stop that icy lance of fear from going through your veins the first time one of those trolls emails you a picture of your house. Or calls you on the phone. And for some women that is enough to make them question if, maybe, confrontation is the worse option.

And, I noticed that you still did not answer the question. You said "what she wants to do." What if she considers the very same concerns I posted, the ones you called "supporting mysogyny," and decides the threat of doxxing is enough that she doesn't want to confront them? Do you still support her then? Will you be vocal in supporting her lack of confrontation? Be forward about supporting her being, as you put it, cowed into non-confrontation?

How about you give a real answer?

That was a real answer. She should do what she wants. That's the point of this whole topic - that women should do what they want to do without having to live in fear of reprisal. And we should support that up to and including standing up for them and fighting back at the people who call that equal right into question. And yes, misogynists and other asshats are going to do what they're going to do, but we shouldn't be afraid of it, nor should we ignore them. Ignoring them leaves them and their ideas unchallenged. If enough people do that, then confrontation will be less frightening because they will be supported.

If nobody speaks up because they're all afraid of being doxxed, then we might as well give up. The bullies have won.

Zardnaar

Legend
Well Winnie is coming soon so the GG may have to dust off his twitter account. That is how we fire people now, right?

Winnie is not that bad, he did a good job as foreign minister under Helen by most accounts. I changed my voting patterns due to the carte blanche the previous clowns gave the farmers )all the rivers down here are poisoned), and the housing crisis/Auckland house prices.

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
Is this a big city thing? I have literally never seen anyone challenge anyone else's 'geek cred'

Only every fifth Thursday during Thunderdome. Two geeks enter, one geek leaves... and one very embarrassed new jock who has no idea how to do sports.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
And designing the best selling version of D&D to date.

He has the best and worst versions on his resume now.

All editions of D&D have giant rulebooks. He's the one that shortened into to a hundred page PDF.

Your deflection in answering the question is noted.

Honestly I am surprised he is making any comments on his hiring decisions, let alone the type of bone headed one in the OP. What is he even thinking?

Zardnaar

Legend
He has the best and worst versions on his resume now.

Honestly I am surprised he is making any comments on his hiring decisions, let alone the type of bone headed one in the OP. What is he even thinking?

4E was not the worst selling D&D, it probably outsold OD&D. Mearls was not one who pushed heavily for 4E, the primary designers were involved with the experimental 3.5 books and the D&D minis game. I think Slavisek pushed 4E (and got fired over it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads