• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Mechanic proposal for Beast Master

empireofchaos

First Post
I'll probably regret wading into this, since the topic is largely beaten to death, and elicits strong reactions on all sides, but here goes: I know people have proposed a spell mechanic to allow the BM to situationally circumvent the stringent action economy, but how about a skill-based mechanic? I find it strange that hardly anyone brings up Animal Handling in all the numerous threads dedicated to the BM, and "fixing" it. It's like either the beast is completely obedient, and you don't have to roll, or it's completely disobedient or lost (ditto). There isn't even a stipulation that the BM needs the skill in order to enter the archetype.

But what if: Instead of using a bonus action to automatically compel the beast to do whatever you want (against the RAW, but in accordance with what a lot of people are doing in their homebrews), you need to make an Animal Handling check to get the animal to take an action in response to a command issued by the BM as a bonus action? That way, you limit the violation of the action economy (and fighters, rogues, etc. violate it also, within certain limits), and you create an in-game explanation for why the beast sometimes fails to act when commanded ('there is a battle of wills between ranger and beast' seems easier to accept than 'the animal just stands around doing nothing'). If you want to add more crunch, you could stipulate greater DCs for some actions than others (something like Dash 5, Disengage, Dodge, Help 10, Attack 15), or limit the number of consecutive rounds in which you can successfully command the creature. The limitation avoids having to come up with silly spirit animals whose existence is justified because they are not always "there", so it's OK to give the beast a free attack when it is.

Lastly, in order to avoid the common charge that the useless BM stands around commanding her beast while the enterprising whoever-it-is just buys an attack dog that charges into battle, you can institute an animal trainer feat, without which you can't really command an animal to act in the way you want without being micromanaged (giving up your action). The feat would be a watered-down version of what the BM could do, viz.: - You gain a proficiency (or expertise) in Animal Handling - You can add your proficiency bonus to an animal's Performance rolls to do tricks (prance, jump through hoops whatever seems appropriate for the animal type) - You can use an action to command an animal to take any action (Dash, Dodge, Disengage, Help, Attack). - As a bonus action, you can make an Animal Handling check to prompt the beast to take an action as above. If these changes are instituted, we'll start seeing BM rangers with Wisdom as their primary stat, but that's as it should be.

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
I think this is a valid path a group might take.

Personally I think it is too fiddly with the extra dice rolling. If I wanted BM Rangers to be able to trade their Bonus action for a Pet Attack I would strongly consider adding Proficiency in Animal Handling as a requirement - but probably skip all the dice rolling.

Personally I'd allow dodge, disengage, and dash as default actions - the rest can play by the rules.

Azurewraith

Explorer
My only issue with this is well your subclass feature could in theory never do anything as well 1s happen i feel like this is part of the reason why rogues sneak attack has been slowly made so much easier to accomplish over the years. No one likes their main class feature to do nothing,

empireofchaos

First Post
I think this is a valid path a group might take.

Personally I think it is too fiddly with the extra dice rolling. If I wanted BM Rangers to be able to trade their Bonus action for a Pet Attack I would strongly consider adding Proficiency in Animal Handling as a requirement - but probably skip all the dice rolling.

Personally I'd allow dodge, disengage, and dash as default actions - the rest can play by the rules.

The main thing I'm proposing requires one Animal Handling roll - the rest are all variant rules for people who like to have more crunch. The purpose of the roll would be to create a chance of failure, which would act as a limit on the BM feature (just like a Rogue's Cunning Action requires a Stealth roll that acts as a limit on her power as well).

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads