D&D 5E Medicine Checks

Ashrym

Legend
You keep bringing up this idea of “knowing what your character can do” as if Skills were prescriptive. A character trained in Medicine can’t do anything a character not trained in Medicine can do, they’re just less likely to fail when they have to make a check to see if the thing they did worked.

I don't actually see the relevance. It doesn't matter whether a person is trained or not. The WIS check applies to the same actions regardless of any training. That doesn't actually change any actions that might be associated with the medicine skill and why it's the two are listed together in the manuals and examples of checks.

proficiency.jpg

That's from page 239 of the DMG. A wisdom (medicine) check means anyone can do it as stated and also means training and practice in the medicine skill (which can be argued as a game term, I agree). That's training and practice in something to represent the proficiency regardless of what a person calls it. A person trained in medicine has trained and practiced in an area that everyone else has not.

Ability score bonuses are natural capability, proficiency is focus and training, DC's are based on how hard the DM determines the task to be in the event the result of the action is in doubt. The bonus to the roll is a combination of natural ability and training. I'm not sure how I've contradicted anything you've said by recording it in a post.

No matter how a person looks at it, the term "medicine" applies to some action even if it's as a game term. Since we're not actually playing using the term as a placeholder for any conceivable action to which it might apply isn't a stretch. Just conceiving some actions. If you don't feel comfortable with that I'm okay with that too. I just like getting feedback from different perspectives than number crunch. You and Iserith both have a perspective I appreciate. Although Iserith gave an example. :p

“Using Medicine” is not a concept I think is applicable to D&D 5e. The Medicine skill is insurance against failure at tasks that involve diagnosis and treatment of ailments, and application of medical knowledge.

"Using medicine" is vernacular algebra. It's replacing an unknown number of variable actions with a term. ;)

It doesn't matter if a person writes 3 pages of screen play detailing how the player and DM got to the point of the check. At that point there was an action taken that pertains to proficiency in medicine. If it's auto-success it pertained to medicine proficiency. If it's in doubt and a roll is made it still pertains to medicine proficiency. That's why medicine proficiency is being applied.

The thread is about actions that would cause medicine proficiency to be applicable. How can the medicine skill added to 5e not be a concept applicable to 5e? ;)

Ashrym

Legend
Found a couple of new ones. I'll edit the OP at some point.

DC 10
  • identify damage type inflicted (eg necrotic, electrical burn)
  • identify rare medical equipment

DC 15
  • identify an injured individual by the way he or she moves
  • remove an embedded object without permanent damage
  • remove parasitic objects or creatures without harming it

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases