5E Meet Hercules, The Mightiest Demigod!

Russ Morrissey

Comments

Mike Myler

Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters KS soon
Are PC-classed characters usually 2 challenge ratings below their class level?
No—it varies widely based on what those classes levels are and the magic items involved (which in Herc's case vault his Strength score way way up). Using the Blog of Holding rubric the calculations are the same, but if you're balancing CR using the chart in the Dungeon Master's Guide you don't factor in the NPC's proficiency bonus.

Interestingly, the class most opposite of Hercules produces the highest CR builds (which kinda implies the artificer class is the most powerful, although when you're talking adventurers that's way more nebulous than 'hits hard often' and should consider versatility, durability, etc. more highly than normal.)

Mercurius

Legend
Nice job. Herc is a beast.

I haven't lined them up, but I like the idea that in a one-on-one combat, Achilles--the more skilled warrior--could hold his own against Heracles. Have you done any test combats?

Mike Myler

Nice job. Herc is a beast.

I haven't lined them up, but I like the idea that in a one-on-one combat, Achilles--the more skilled warrior--could hold his own against Heracles. Have you done any test combats?
Oooooo a good query (and @Morrus this is definitely a subject we could throw 20 minutes at in a podcast a la Deadliest Warrior—can we do that please?). I think that fight would depend an awful lot on the circumstances. If Hercules can get in there and grapple Achilles, and keep him in that grapple? He'd crush him. It'd take a while (that Survivor feature would kick in pretty soon and make Achilles a hold out) but if we're talking a field or arena fight, no contest. Take it to somewhere more tactical where Achilles can best use ranged weapons, wriggle away a few times, or maybe slow Hercules down with some minions so he can get a minute to recover, and I'd give Achilles a 1 in 3 shot of walking away from that victorious (but definitely keep my betting money on Herc).

Mercurius

Legend
Oooooo a good query (and @Morrus this is definitely a subject we could throw 20 minutes at in a podcast a la Deadliest Warrior—can we do that please?). I think that fight would depend an awful lot on the circumstances. If Hercules can get in there and grapple Achilles, and keep him in that grapple? He'd crush him. It'd take a while (that Survivor feature would kick in pretty soon and make Achilles a hold out) but if we're talking a field or arena fight, no contest. Take it to somewhere more tactical where Achilles can best use ranged weapons, wriggle away a few times, or maybe slow Hercules down with some minions so he can get a minute to recover, and I'd give Achilles a 1 in 3 shot of walking away from that victorious (but definitely keep my betting money on Herc).
Hmm...I'm reminded of something...for some reasons the words 'mountain' and 'viper' are entering my mind...

Tonguez

Hero
Actually can you do a whole series of these please - a whole survivor series pitching Mythic Figures against each other (according to Tier of course)

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Actually can you do a whole series of these please - a whole survivor series pitching Mythic Figures against each other (according to Tier of course)
That's actually quite a fun idea.... some kind of tournament eliminator. Hmmm. Based on an actual combat between them played out according to the rules, or to public vote?

Mercurius

Legend
That's actually quite a fun idea.... some kind of tournament eliminator. Hmmm. Based on an actual combat between them played out according to the rules, or to public vote?
If you do combat, you have the problem of sample size--maybe ask people to sign up to run combats, at least 10 per pair of combatants (or 11, to make it an even number so there are no ties).

If you really want to get extravagant, have different brackets: Greco-Roman, Anglo-Norse, etc.

Or maybe...that sounds like a lot of work and coordination...

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
If you do combat, you have the problem of sample size--maybe ask people to sign up to run combats, at least 10 per pair of combatants (or 11, to make it an even number so there are no ties).
You don’t tend to worry about sample sizes in tournaments! Just the one Usain Bolt! He doesn’t get 11 tries at it. :)

Tonguez

Hero
Having actual combat would be much cooler if it can be coordinated and pulled off by some enthusiatics volunteers

Mercurius

Legend
I could imagine maybe four brackets of eight heroes each, something like:

Greco-Roman: Heracles, Achilles, Odysseus, Hector, Ajax the Great, Diomedes, Perseus, Theseus.
British: King Arthur, Lancelot, Gawain, Cuchulain, Morgan le Fay, Rhiannon, Beowulf, Robin Hood.
Other European/Near Eastern: Sigurd, Kullervo, Rostam, Gilgamesh, Enkidu, Arash, Charlemagne, Baba Yaga.
African/Asian/American: Hiawatha, Sun Wukong, Arjuna, Draupadi, Anansi, Quetzalcoatl, Maui, Hanuman.

Or something like that.

Mike Myler

Public vote before the show and then a logical walkthrough of how a fight between two Mythological Figures might play out on terrain we randomly determine before that discussion. Randomize some of the matchups and aye as Tonguez suggested keep those within tier (so no Tier 1 [level 4] build vs a Tier 3 [level 11] character fights).

Rafael Martin

Explorer
Public vote before the show and then a logical walkthrough of how a fight between two Mythological Figures might play out on terrain we randomly determine before that discussion. Randomize some of the matchups and aye as Tonguez suggested keep those within tier (so no Tier 1 [level 4] build vs a Tier 3 [level 11] character fights).
You know Mike I remember someone, me, having to beg 20 fans to like one of your mythological posts in order for you to finally write up Hercules! Just saying...lol

Tbh his mental stats dont actually make sense.

If you actually know greek myth then you know that heracles was actually mentally profoundly gifted. Far above average. Not a dumb brute. 1 part nerd 1 part jock 1 part politician with anger issues. None of them should be below a 13. Nit even wisdom. Afflicted with madness=/=low wisdom. Impulsivity and anger issues again=/=low wisdom. They are personality flaws yes. But heracles is actually fairly wise. Not super wise. But fairly.

All that said, otherwise, pretty cool.

Advertisement1

Latest threads

In Our Store!

Most Liked Threads

Advertisement2

Advertisement4