D&D 5E Meet Hercules, The Mightiest Demigod!

The mighty Hercules (or Heracles) is an iconic Greek hero, and a true mythological figure. Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters, coming soon to Kickstarter, compiles Mike Myler's fantastic column here on EN World, with brand new art in a gorgeous full-colour book.

The mighty Hercules (or Heracles) is an iconic Greek hero, and a true mythological figure. Mythological Figures & Maleficent Monsters, coming soon to Kickstarter, compiles Mike Myler's fantastic column here on EN World, with brand new art in a gorgeous full-colour book.

Screen Shot 2020-04-07 at 6.39.29 PM.png

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Are PC-classed characters usually 2 challenge ratings below their class level?
No—it varies widely based on what those classes levels are and the magic items involved (which in Herc's case vault his Strength score way way up). Using the Blog of Holding rubric the calculations are the same, but if you're balancing CR using the chart in the Dungeon Master's Guide you don't factor in the NPC's proficiency bonus.

Interestingly, the class most opposite of Hercules produces the highest CR builds (which kinda implies the artificer class is the most powerful, although when you're talking adventurers that's way more nebulous than 'hits hard often' and should consider versatility, durability, etc. more highly than normal.)

Mercurius

Legend
Nice job. Herc is a beast.

I haven't lined them up, but I like the idea that in a one-on-one combat, Achilles--the more skilled warrior--could hold his own against Heracles. Have you done any test combats?

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Nice job. Herc is a beast.

I haven't lined them up, but I like the idea that in a one-on-one combat, Achilles--the more skilled warrior--could hold his own against Heracles. Have you done any test combats?
Oooooo a good query (and @Morrus this is definitely a subject we could throw 20 minutes at in a podcast a la Deadliest Warrior—can we do that please?). I think that fight would depend an awful lot on the circumstances. If Hercules can get in there and grapple Achilles, and keep him in that grapple? He'd crush him. It'd take a while (that Survivor feature would kick in pretty soon and make Achilles a hold out) but if we're talking a field or arena fight, no contest. Take it to somewhere more tactical where Achilles can best use ranged weapons, wriggle away a few times, or maybe slow Hercules down with some minions so he can get a minute to recover, and I'd give Achilles a 1 in 3 shot of walking away from that victorious (but definitely keep my betting money on Herc).

Mercurius

Legend
Oooooo a good query (and @Morrus this is definitely a subject we could throw 20 minutes at in a podcast a la Deadliest Warrior—can we do that please?). I think that fight would depend an awful lot on the circumstances. If Hercules can get in there and grapple Achilles, and keep him in that grapple? He'd crush him. It'd take a while (that Survivor feature would kick in pretty soon and make Achilles a hold out) but if we're talking a field or arena fight, no contest. Take it to somewhere more tactical where Achilles can best use ranged weapons, wriggle away a few times, or maybe slow Hercules down with some minions so he can get a minute to recover, and I'd give Achilles a 1 in 3 shot of walking away from that victorious (but definitely keep my betting money on Herc).

Hmm...I'm reminded of something...for some reasons the words 'mountain' and 'viper' are entering my mind...

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow

Actually can you do a whole series of these please - a whole survivor series pitching Mythic Figures against each other (according to Tier of course)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads