• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Blog (A5E) Meet Our ‘Level Up’ Team!

We’ve crossed the ‘t’s and dotted the ‘i’s, signed on the dotted lines, and we’re very excited to introduce our team of 5E designers to you! They’ve already started work on Level Up! Hundreds of people applied when we advertised these positions. Whittling them down was a challenge, but we are very proud of the group we’ve brought together to work on this game. Some you may have heard of...

We’ve crossed the ‘t’s and dotted the ‘i’s, signed on the dotted lines, and we’re very excited to introduce our team of 5E designers to you! They’ve already started work on Level Up!

4EE396D1-411F-4F06-9AB4-49ACD7F2D0BB.jpeg

Hundreds of people applied when we advertised these positions. Whittling them down was a challenge, but we are very proud of the group we’ve brought together to work on this game. Some you may have heard of, while others we hope you’ll get to know over the coming months.

Check them out on our Team page!

If you are interested in working on Level Up, keep an eye on this website, as more opportunities will be available.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
The poster above stated that, if given a choice between two products about which they knew nothing except the level of diversity in the creative team, they would choose the more diverse team. That's what I think is a false choice, because that would never be all you know, and if it were I wouldn't buy either without knowing more.
Eh. They were talking about a hypothetical nonexistent vacuum where a choice had to be made. It was a rhetorical point about all other things being equal, that would make the difference. You’re talking it a bit literally.

Schmoe

Adventurer
That's a false choice. When are you going to have to make a choice when all you know about either product is how diverse the creative team is?

You're missing the point. The point is that diversity of a team is a positive quality in and of itself with measurable benefits in the quality of the product.

I'm very deliberately not denigrating a team of all white dudes, just as I'm not denigrating a team of all black chicks, or any other specific category of people. Diversity takes many forms and it's really, really, really not about pitting one category of person vs. another.

Schmoe

Adventurer
At any rate, I don't really want to distract from the real point of this thread, which is to congratulate all of the lucky and obviously incredibly talented people on the Level Up team. I'm going to bow out of further discussions about team composition.

To the Level Up team, Congratulations! I'm really looking forward to seeing what comes out of this.

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
You're missing the point. The point is that diversity of a team is a positive quality in and of itself with measurable benefits in the quality of the product.

I'm very deliberately not denigrating a team of all white dudes, just as I'm not denigrating a team of all black chicks, or any other specific category of people. Diversity takes many forms and it's really, really, really not about pitting one category of person vs. another.
Oh, I agree. I just didn't care for how that point was phrased. White room ideas like that get under my skin. Sorry about that.

Mortus

Explorer
I have heard of exactly one of those people (apart from @Morrus of course), so I have not strong views on the specific people involved. But I like that the gallery is not just full of white dudes!

_
glass.

Hey Glass, I agree with you that inclusivity is a great thing, after all variety is the spice of life. :)

As a friendly suggestion, I would recommend being positive like “I like that the gallery has [insert descriptors]” instead of negative “not just full of white dudes”. That latter phraseology can be viewed as dismissive and disrespectful. It certainly made me feel that way.

Please take this suggestion as it is intended with the promotion of civility and compassion. Thanks.

NotAYakk

Legend
Hey Glass, I agree with you that inclusivity is a great thing, after all variety is the spice of life. :)

As a friendly suggestion, I would recommend being positive like “I like that the gallery has [insert descriptors]” instead of negative “not just full of white dudes”. That latter phraseology can be viewed as dismissive and disrespectful. It certainly made me feel that way.

Please take this suggestion as it is intended with the promotion of civility and compassion. Thanks.
Hey Mortus, I agree with you that civility is a great thing. But tone policing is a great way to attack people pointing out problems.

Your fragile feelings are less important than the problem of lack of inclusion by a few million orders of magnitude.

When you ask people pointing out injustice to, you know, say it nicer so your feelings aren't bruised by someone noticing racism, you are supporting racism and opposing fixing racism.

Please take this suggestion as it is intended with the promotion of justice and peace.

The "coincidence" that high profile jobs "just happen" to be filled by a bunch of white people has a few 100 years "well, that p value sure is way out there" credibility problems.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
As a friendly suggestion, I would recommend being positive...

Hey Mortus, I agree with you that civility is a great thing. But tone policing is a great way to attack people pointing out problems.

Mod Note:

Folks, this thread is about the project team, not about how one should communicate about societal problems. What you are discussing is in no way a simple subject, and could swamp the intended discussion.

Can we please bring it back around from this divergence? Thanks.

Mike Myler

Have you been to LevelUp5E.com yet?
Reviewing all those applications took a lot of time and effort, and the whole hiring process was very rigorous, so it's been great seeing such a positive overall response to the team announcement. ♥

(Thanks again to everyone who applied! Remember we want you all to get on the EN5ider pitch call list and you can do that by messaging me with your email address!)

Paragon Lost

Terminally Lost
Aye that's milady. Another person on the tour left his shoes on the bus and I was like "well damn, that's probably the right way to walk through a hobbit village isn't it?" I figured I might not ever get another chance so I sat down, took mine off, and tied them about my belt (you can just barely see them under her tush). 😛 Considered using a different photo but cooler heads prevailed.
She is on the instagram if anyone is keen to all that business. I think she mostly posts LUSH stuff and pictures of the doggos.

Also there's more on the Shire and whole NZ trip here, and I assure you I am not the only solid LotR fan on the team. ;)

LOL!!!! So much awesome! You should have used that other picture! Thanks for sharing Mike.

Remove ads

Remove ads