Spelljammer Meet The Giff--Spelljammer's Space Pirate Hippos!

The Giff, a race of "gunslinging hippo-like pirates" will be appearing in Spelljammer: Adventures in Space, and D&D Beyond has a sneak preview of them.

giff-line-up.jpg

Weiley31

Legend
Well, with Spelljammer: Adventures in Space slowly making its way ever closer to release date, it seems a preview of everybody's favorite gun-toting Space Hippos is up.

And yes, they didn't forget about their talent at using Firearms.

I can't wait to see how the Thri-Kreen have turned out upon release day!

Last edited:

Deekin

Adventurer
What's with 5e's obsession with God's and deities being the alpha and omega of everything?

The giff can't just explore for the love of exploring, but a need to find the god that created them. They can't just favor firearms they need a divine connection to them...

Weiley31

Legend
What's with 5e's obsession with God's and deities being the alpha and omega of everything?

The giff can't just explore for the love of exploring, but a need to find the god that created them. They can't just favor firearms they need a divine connection to them...
At least they have a legit pairing excuse for a Giff using the Black Powder Cleric domain from Kobold Press' Tome of Heroes book.

Stormonu

Legend
TBH, I rarely use the standard D&D lore for monsters anymore, after the major changes in 4E. I’ve got a lot of older lore I prefer, and in other cases, I prefer my homebrew to just about anything coming out in the books now.

Personally, my Giff are (generally) agnostic and aren’t looking for “their” dead gods. I guess that means that any clerics/paladins/(druids) would be drawing spells from concepts/forces instead of dieties.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I'm just happy that they aren't cephalopods with mYsTeRiOuS BrAiNpOwErs...

All in all, a pretty fun-looking species to play. Very reminiscent of the Umpani in Sir-Tech's "Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant."

Last edited:

TIL

Wotc does not fear giving proficiencies in a few things if it is necessary lore wise.

Having advantage on strength ability checks and saving throws replaces a weak +2 bonus to strength which is at most one more than standard human ability scores.
Which means a giff is now always a lot more favoured in any direct strength competion woth humans. And it remains when both have maxed their strength stat.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases