• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[MEG] The Deep Map: Wow!!

Mystic Eye

First Post
Steverooo said:
Frankly, I pretty much LOATHE the typical underwater adventuring books... They don't deal with nitrogen narcosis, the bends, the fact that no core 3.xe spell deals with the pressure differential, etc., etc., ad nauseum... Is this book "just another of the same", or does it deal with the real obstacles, and provide ways around them (even if they're magical)?

Actually Steveroo, there is a chapter that deals with this stuff and actually details rules for everything aboce youy mention plus lots more. Imagine, this is a 256 page book dedicated to undersea adventures and presents it in great detail. If you are looking for rules on the above you will not be let down.

caudor

Adventurer
MEG Hal said:
Agreed!
And if you missed it a tease of the art:

attachment.php

This book is awesome.

Catch the Wave!!!!!!!

Wow, this book wasn't even on my radar until I caught this thread (how did I miss something like this?) The teaser definatley got me...now I'll be hunting down myself a copy.

MEG Hal

First Post
caudor said:
Wow, this book wasn't even on my radar until I caught this thread (how did I miss something like this?) The teaser definatley got me...now I'll be hunting down myself a copy.

wow thanks Caudor, that is a great compliment to all who are a part ot his UW tome.

You will not regret your decision.
;)

Aeolius

Adventurer
Steverooo said:
(Now what's the spell that let's me explore the Marianas Trench? Water Breathing, alone, sure aint it!)

I think the one you're looking for is reincarnation...into a triton, perhaps ;)

The current makeup of the party in my undersea campaign includes a tiefling mermaid, oceanid (offspring of a salt hag and triton), damselfish hivemind (swarm, aquatic), human (with grafts from a pseudonatural fish hag), half-dragon (topaz), and a triton prince. Not all deep-dwellers, mind you, but they have select magics for surviving the chill and pressures of the deep.

btw, one pet peeve of mine is the choice of musical instruments for an undersea bard. The stereotypical triton's conch horn requires air, to function. I'm working on designs for a few stringed instruments for my game. They incorporate resonating chambers and various frets, to increase the sound of the strings (which are placed close to one another, to reduce the resistance of the water).

(edit: added bard instrument rant)

Last edited:

Aeolius

Adventurer
Steverooo said:
Even pearl divers and well divers, who use no equipment, must deal with nitrogen narcosis ("rapture of the deep") and the bends.
Way back in 1980 (lots of things happened +/- 2-3 years of that...leaning to dive, learning D&D, learning AppleSoft BASIC, etc), it was explained that the effect at 100' (roughly 3 atmospheres) was not unlike a dry martini on an empty stomach (like that's a useful analogy for a teen at the time, eh?), with each additional atmosphere adding an additional drink. I think all accomplished was encouraging the entire class to want to embark on a deep dive.

The rate of ascent was stressed to be "rise at the rate of your smallest bubble", so long as the length and depth of the dive did not warrant decompression, as you described. Again, the memorable part of that lesson was to lay flat at then bottom of Looe Key Reef, inflate a balloon with compressed air from the same tanks we were breathing from, tie the balloon, and set it free. The resulting explosions prompted everyone to envision the same happening to their lungs.

Granted, back then I was known for free diving 40-50 feet, scuba diving without my mask, and other somewhat less that sensible aquatic activities.

Out of curiosity, what other elements need be present, in an undersea supplement or adventure, to prevent an outbreak of your "loathing"? ;) I've been running an undersea D&D campaign since 1998 (link in my signature below) and am always searching for ways to improve the mechanics, dynamics, and presentation of the adventure.

Remove ads