D&D 5E Melee sorcerer

Warpiglet-7

Cry havoc! And let slip the pigs of war!
I don’t bank on any magic items but that is a good find!

I love dwarves as caster in 5e—-they make great warlocks with blade pact.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Strange, our dwarven wizard is excellent at melee. A bit MAD mind you with a dex of 14 and she took shield mastery and war caster. She is still at 16 Intel but they found a nice pair a ogre strength and she is quite effective at melee. She often push or prone opponents with shield mastery and most spell she uses are to boost her or fellow adventurers in her group. I was quite surprise at how well she handle large groups. Overall, a fresh take on the armored wizard fighting in close melee.
wizard =/= sorcerer...

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Strange, our dwarven wizard is excellent at melee. A bit MAD mind you with a dex of 14 and she took shield mastery and war caster. She is still at 16 Intel but they found a nice pair a ogre strength and she is quite effective at melee. She often push or prone opponents with shield mastery and most spell she uses are to boost her or fellow adventurers in her group. I was quite surprise at how well she handle large groups. Overall, a fresh take on the armored wizard fighting in close melee.
It's not ineffective, but it's not overshadowing the Fighter.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
It would be the exact same results. Same stats save that it would be charisma instead of intel.
Otherwise no real change in effectiveness.
Except spell list, spells available at any time and different subclass abilities including some subclasses built explicitly for gishing. And different multixlass synergies

Except spell list, spells available at any time and different subclass abilities including some subclasses built explicitly for gishing. And different multixlass synergies
Sure, just as anything else. But the overall performance would be similar. Only the play style would differ. That much is obvious.
A wizard is not a sorcerer just as an evoker is not a diviner (which this dwarf is by the way). And yet, each classes and subclasses offer unique ways to RP and contribute to fights in their own ways.
Also, for multiclassing, not everyone want a paly/sorc/lock. Sometimes, you don`t want to multiclass for RP reasons and our dwarven wizard is single classed and she does not intent to multi.

Yaarel

He Mage
So apparently we are playing a second character in current campaign.

It’s not quite west marches but we will have a couple characters to use from time to time. I am pretty happy with my melee oriented death cleric but thought about a melee sorcerer focused to some extent on blade cantrips.

How far has anyone taken this with sorcerer?

I will find a way to use weapons—-weapon master, dip into hexblade or just warlock and go with mace and spear….have not decided that yet.

I am thinking about something other than fighter or Paladin and their ilk for one level.

I was thinking about quickens blade cantrips, haste etc.

Open to other fun ideas about spell selection, feats etc.
I view the 4e Swordmage to be melee spellcaster, who only uses magic, including the spellcasting ability for weapon attacks, while all spells have melee range (within 10 feet), except for teleport and divination spells that can have longer ranges. Of course, all defenses are magic, such as Mage Armor and Shield spell instead of mundane armor and shield. As long as the spells keep the caster upclose and personal in combat, any spell is reasonable.

The hitpoints rely on temp hit points, and healing.

Magically a tank.

Remove ads