• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Memo to all 4th Edition Designers and Developers

AZRogue said:
I think Scott is counting on most of us having a sense of humor. Will some people get offended? It seems so. The humor factor probably outweighs any possible negativity generated, though. YMMV.
This. There is definitely a problem with some posters taking everything too seriously and too personally. Given the abuse that has been heaped upon Mr. Rouse and his colleagues, I will forgive him the minor "lashing out" we have seen.

The Ubbergeek

First Post
Primal said:
Do you think it is a wise marketing strategy to *publicly* call some of your customers "whiners"? What if you complained at your FLGS how they have filled the shelves mostly with Manga books and they'd say: "You people! You always have to start whining when we try something new and different!"... would you feel you were treated politely? Would you still shop there? Even if the staff clearly treats you in a condescending or even insulting manner? We're talking about the D&D Brand Manager here, after all, and how he apparently wants to treat his customers...

perhaps, if they wouldn't buy anyway.

Primal said:
We're talking about the D&D Brand Manager here, after all, and how he apparently wants to treat his customers...
"His customers"? You mean the ones who complain about every little change and state publicly that they'll never buy 4E? Those customers? I think he can stand to lose them.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Nymrohd said:
Sure there are people who present constructed criticism but then again there are some who should be treated just that way.

Well, let me present anyone who decides to try to treat anyone here "that way" with some constructive advice:

Don't. It is a fast way to a vacation from the site. While you are here, we expect you to be on your best behavior, treating everyone with respect, whether you agree with them or not.

Primal

First Post
Nymrohd said:
What customers? The people who whine day and night about every single thing announced about 4E? Let's be realistic. Most of them are so addicted they will buy it even if you kill their mother and the rest are not planning to buy it and just are being creative little trolls. Sure there are people who present constructed criticism but then again there are some who should be treated just that way.

In any case it's not very wise from a business or PR perspective to start 'categorizing' people into those you're polite to (and answer their replies). You need to treat everyone with the same level of respect and professionalism -- even if they're rude or outright wrong. Because everything a Manager of a major company such as WoTC does in public affects the public image of not only WoTC but the D&D brand, too. If you start treating a portion of your customer base (and yes, it's also "his" customer base as long as works for WoTC) in a haughty or condescending manner (even if you mean it as a joke) it's bad for the business. And let's remember that as a customer, it's your *right* to whine and criticize their products as much as you want to -- you're *paying* to get what *you* want, what you perceive as "quality". However, it's up to them to decide what to do with your complaints/feedback in relation to resources available and what they assume the customers "in general" want with the subject in question (e.g. whether more people would like to see Crits simply inflicting max. damage or not, or that whether DDI should have some additional features which would raise the monthly fee or not).

Demigonis

First Post
fnwc said:
The fact that someone is criticizing WotC because "cool" is being used too much is just too funny.

People on the internet will complain about ANYTHING. They can and will find that they have a problem with a part of everything that exists, and for some reason must share it openly with the rest of us. It's really sad. :(

Examples 1A-1C: Rouse's shirt, people over the age of 25 using the word "cool", and even unfinished examples of why people need to worry about themselves a little more and put things in perspective.

It'd be so COOL (HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, I USED THE WORD COOL, don't worry I'm not over 25.) if people would worry about what actually mattered. Like... lets say... the actual content of the game, which to me looks fantastic thus far. :D

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Fifth Element said:
If you can dish out criticism for using a word "too much", then you should be able to take some gentle ribbing for doing so.

I think Mr. Rouse and his colleagues have taken abuse pretty well over the past several months, being called liars and worse. If you're such a 4E critic that you complain about the word "cool", then you're probably not going to buy it anyway, so where's the loss?

I don't really care how many times they call something cool. The problem is saying it's cool over and over again without one shred of evidence of why it's "cool". There is no explanation or hint of mechanics that make it cool. Hearing "It's so cool." a hundred times wihtout really saying anything else is pointless and annoying.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
Shazman said:
I don't really care how many times they call something cool. The problem is saying it's cool over and over again without one shred of evidence of why it's "cool". There is no explanation or hint of mechanics that make it cool. Hearing "It's so cool." a hundred times wihtout really saying anything else is pointless and annoying.

Do you mean evidence (and some speculation) that largely came from WOTC and has been compiled here: EN World 4e Page and can also be found here

Or actual discussion of mechanics and rules (to cite a few) like:

Critical Hits

Magic Item Slots

Death and Dying

Pit Fiend Stat Block

4e Miniatures Rule Book

Desrt of Desolation 4e Stat Cards

Also keep in mind that we are still months away from the release, we are holding back info for people to learn at about first at D&D Experience, and after that the amount we reveal will increase significantly because the books will be final.

Last edited:

Remove ads