Mercedes Lackey Ejected From Nebula Conference For Using Racial Slur

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
This is the same weekend she got named as a Grand Master. Their most prestigious award.

I wish they’d indicated what she actually said, with censoring of course.

It’s gonna bug me.

Also dammit.

Edit: ok found out. Maybe I live in an oil town and I’m too used to this sort of thing, but i didn’t know that was classified as a slur. I know it’s not the preferred nomenclature, but it being a slur surprises me.

Still, it’s been outdated language, at least, for most of my life. I hope she makes a public apology.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
She called another writer "colored" during a panel.
Like I said upthread in an edit: “Maybe I live in an oil town and I’m too used to this sort of thing, but i didn’t know that was classified as a slur. I know it’s not the preferred nomenclature, but it being a slur surprises me.

Still, it’s been outdated language, at least, for most of my life. I hope she makes a public apology.”

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Like I said upthread in an edit: “Maybe I live in an oil town and I’m too used to this sort of thing, but i didn’t know that was classified as a slur. I know it’s not the preferred nomenclature, but it being a slur surprises me.

Still, it’s been outdated language, at least, for most of my life. I hope she makes a public apology.”
Yeah, I mean, I came in the thread expecting M. A. R. Barker writing a Nazi novel levels of Scandal. Old person uses what was the correct term when she was young? Awkward and embarrassing, but Im6more relieved than scandalized.

But, yeah, I knew it wasn't in use anymore, but I hadn't ever heard it was a slur. Given that People or Person of Color is common now, thst she got a wired crossed with her youth. She's in her 70's.

Remove ads