Mercenary Adventures of the B-Team (closed group)

larryfinnjr

First Post
Chapter 2 - Lost and Found

Merc ReBoot, ver 2.0

It's not as easy as it sounds, sneaking into a religious enclave and stealing something. It’s one thing to just pop in and out of a troll cave with some jink – they’re not too bright and can be easily distracted. Still sucks to be caught, but it’s doable.

Snatching from the Faithful will be different – they believe in their purpose and stay alert they know that they’re not making the celestial journey they’ve been promised if something happens to that key. They’ll fight tooth and nail to keep it, 'specially if some low-life mercs like you are gonna try and steal it.

There’s more than a few ways to take the key -- Sneak in and take it without anyone knowing -- Barge in and take it by force -- Maybe just fake another key and give that to Stump. What’s your reputation gonna be? Invisible wraiths never seen by the mark? Ruthless killers who'll cut everyone down to get the job done? Cunning trickesters who'll lie and cheat for a copper? The first job’s the hardest: everything that other mercs, crime bosses, and underlings hear about you from here on in will be based on what you do right here. That means there’s only one way to do this job: Properly.

You set out to follow the map Stump gave you into Harrington Woods, generally keeping to path but being careful to avoid the most traveled areas. A few hours in, one of you hear a distinctly non-natural whistle, followed by a faint reply from another in the distance. Obviously there are patrols out an about, although you don't seem to have come across yet.

GM: Skill challenge time, attempting to locate the main camp while avoiding patrols. Each of you come up with a prudent role play and skill check and we'll see how you do! Some skills that come to mind: Nature, Perception, Religion...

Blutspitze

Explorer
Falk is not a happy Dwarf.

Whose blasted idea was it to fill the forest with bugs?!?! Carsys can't destroy them and they won't stop eating us! It's bad enough we have to be in this God Forsaken hole of a forest and all we find are stupid trees and giant bugs!!! Just once I'd like to have a job where the mark hides out in a nice city, maybe take in a show, a nice meal, and some decent microbrew, but noooooo....we gotta hang out here with all these bugs trying to kill us and nothing fun to do....Not even a decent piece of stonework to look at and appreciate....

His voice trails off, though his ramblings continue, an unrelenting verbal attack on the tiny bugs that refuse to leave him alone. He attempts to calm down and focus on the task at hand.

Last edited:

Phesic

First Post
Surge clanks along with his companionsWell, since we are about as stealthy as..
*Clank, Whir, Hsssss*
..me. What are our plans for this incursion?

His eyes look as if they might have narrowed a bit, I think that elevated area to our right is on our map. Surge points toward the left of the party I believe we are going the right way.

larryfinnjr

First Post
Falk is not a happy Dwarf.

Whose blasted idea was it to fill the forest with bugs?!?! Carsys can't destroy them and they won't stop eating us! It's bad enough we have to be in this God Forsaken hole of a forest and all we find are stupid trees and giant bugs!!! Just once I'd like to have a job where the mark hides out in a nice city, maybe take in a show, a nice meal, and some decent microbrew, but noooooo....we gotta hang out here with all these bugs trying to kill us and nothing fun to do....Not even a decent piece of stonework to look at and appreciate....

His voice trails off, though his ramblings continue, an unrelenting verbal attack on the tiny bugs that refuse to leave him alone. He attempts to calm down and focus on the task at hand.

GM: Great role play, love the decreasing sized font. Bad skill check for a skill challenge... :) Remember, you don't have to use skills you're trainined in... everyone can roll a 20... or even a 10...... Try again, please!

larryfinnjr

First Post
Surge clanks along with his companionsWell, since we are about as stealthy as..
*Clank, Whir, Hsssss*
..me. What are our plans for this incursion?

His eyes look as if they might have narrowed a bit, I think that elevated area to our right is on our map. Surge points toward the left of the party I believe we are going the right way.

Reaching over to see the map, Mal stares at it for a moment, then to the 'elevated area to the right,' then back to the map. Taking the map from Surge, Mal spins it 180 degrees and hands it back to the point 'man.' ...........

trolled

First Post
Despite the hulking, noisy monstrosity Ches affectionately refers to as Surgeon being about as loud as a Gnomish Wedding, Ches tries to be stealthy in her robes. The brush of the forest does not make it easy, but she slogs on.

I am going to invest in some quality leather. Robes may cut a wizardly swath through the city, but are all kinds of poorly suited to mercenary work. Aren't they, Mr. Mittens? Yes they are. Yes they are .

Continuing to lift the hem of her robes to avoid the worst of the nettles and brambles, Ches tries to get a feel for the woods, recalling a time or two she read as a child.

Seeing the forest life around her, hopping and frolicking, Ches represses the urge to burn the world to cinders in the immediate area... though flames lick along her fingers subconsciously.

Last edited:

Blutspitze

Explorer
Falk, now realizing that fighting off hoards of bugs apparently have no bearing on finding their way through a forest in a decent amount of time, he instead to opt for trying to gain some higher ground to see what he can spot. Feeling the need to be amazing, he finds the largest tree he can and attempts to climb it, trusty Carsys strapped to his back, planning on using his awesome eyes to spot any patrols and/or the camp itself.

If I'm not back in an hour, send the toaster up after me.

Phesic

First Post
Surgeon watches Falk scurry up the tree and then turns and looks forlornly at his leg.

He does realize that I can't follow him, right?

Turning back to the map, Surgeon studies it and the surrounding area. Pointing back towards Bloomten Surge shouts, I've got it! We go that way

OOC: Apparently anyone BUT Surgeon could roll a 20

Last edited:

whardell

Explorer
Enough foolin around boys. I have seen blind kobolds orient a map faster and better. In fact my great aunt used to blind kobolds for just such a purpose.

Mal Drifts off, obviously thinking of older, "better", times.

We go that way.

[Apparently remembering the glory days means Mal's sense of direction is decidedly off.

Remove ads