D&D 5E [Merged] D&D Next/5E Release Schedule Threads

Li Shenron

Legend
Hmmm... OGL perhaps with an online SRD. Or are we talking DDI and you don't need the books... as long as you maintain a subscription? Or perhaps something I haven't thought of. Anyway, It'll be interesting to see what this means.

My first guess is that there is a simple free online tool for creating a 5e character.

But it's limited to basic PC only: essentially the core 4 classes, core 4 races, fixed subclass and background by class, and perhaps up to level 5 only just like the Starter Set characters. Maybe to cut down the Starter Set price as much as possible, they removed character creation rules and refer to an online tool for that.

Note that Mearls doesn't say you don't need the books to play the game. He says you don't need the DMG, because it only has optional rules, magic items, and guidelines, but all the required game rules are in the Starter Set (basic game up to 5lv) and in the PHB (standard game up to 20lv). You also don't need the MM, because eventually some monsters are available elsewhere (adventures for sure, maybe a few might spring up for free on their website). You still need the SS or PHB to play the game! No SRD.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
ba8yre2e.jpg

Sounds like an SRD.

Sorry, I don't follow. the PHB could be just akin to the Pathfinder Core book with the complete rules (without optional modules). (A smattering of) Monsters could be made available online (Monster Manual 0). why do you expect a full-blown SRD from this message?

And concerning the possibility to create characters without Starter set or even PHB, it could just be character creation rules made available for free or with a character builder.

Available for free doesn't mean SRD. Don't get you hopes so high, folks. You might be disappointed in a few months time.

Now that a release date has been set and we’re seeing pics of the covers I’m getting a bit excited about 5E. Not that I wasn’t interested before, but seeing cover pics and a release date around 2 months away (3 for the PHB) makes it a little more tangible.

I think it is a smart move releasing the starter box in advance of Gen Con. That will give those people interested in the game time to play around with pre-gen characters and, assuming they like what they see, generate some hype prior to the release of the PHB at Gen Con.

Releasing the PHB at Gen Con a few days before the worldwide release should add to the excitement (and I’m sure the Gen Con organisers are happy about it).

In regards to the covers, I think they’re ok, but not jaw-droppingly awesome. That said, I’m almost certainly buying the starter box and all 3 core books, so it hasn’t impacted my purchase in that regard. Hopefully the artwork grabs the attention of the younger gamer crowd and draws them into the game.

I’m really pleased to see Kobold Press get the gig for the adventures. That was somewhat of a surprise for me as I expected WotC to have the first adventures of the new edition done “in house”. With Wolfgang on board to write the adventures, they have gone from a “probably won’t buy” to a “very likely to buy”.

I haven’t bought any D&D pre-painted minis since the last set that WotC released several years ago, so I may be mis-remembering how much a booster cost, but I don’t remember it being anywhere near $20 for 4 minis. That seems very pricey. How much do the Pathfinder boosters sell for?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
I haven’t bought any D&D pre-painted minis since the last set that WotC released several years ago, so I may be mis-remembering how much a booster cost, but I don’t remember it being anywhere near $20 for 4 minis. That seems very pricey. How much do the Pathfinder boosters sell for?

Well, it's $16 for 4 minis, not $20, but yes, that's what the PF ones cost.

I actually did a comparison with the Reaper Bones line as I was writing a recent blog entry on the line, and I discovered that one large and three medium unpainted minis from Reaper come to about $15. Miniatures have become a lot more expensive.

(My three blogs on 5e:
* 5E Starters
* The Big Three
* Adventures and Miniatures)

Cheers!

delericho

Legend
To me it definitely sounds like they'll provide some sort of "Survival Kit" online, containing a subset of monsters and magic items to tide you over until the MM and DMG arrive. I half expect this to then be removed once those books do become available, possibly with the material disappearing behind the paywall of the DDI.

Plus, a new version of the Character Builder for 5e, probably with levels 1-5 being free. With, again, the higher levels (and non-core material) being available behind the paywall of the DDI.

Nilbog

Snotling Herder
Arrrrghh no sign yet on Amazon.co.uk, hope we are not left months behind here in the uk , so want to get my grubby mitts on the lot!!

SirGalrim

Explorer
Yay!

Yay! :D

The price will probably be even higher here in Norway. But its ok I think. Its worth it. Prices of everything else goes up so why not for D&D? As long as there is cheap introduction products for the teenagers.

Last edited:

Remove ads