• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

MERGED: How do you say the site name? / What's with Eeee Ennn World?

How do you say EN World?

• "EE EN" like the seperate letters

Votes: 220 63.0%
  • "N" like the Ennies

Votes: 129 37.0%
  • A different way / I never say it

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Like "cow" not like "crow"

Votes: 21 6.0%

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Welverin said:
Not exactly, EN World was always (part) Morrus's, though he did take over the news and boards when Eric retired.

Yep - EN World and Eric's site were two different websites. One assumed the duties of the other, though, so, it's still what Eric started.

Welverin

First Post
Festivus said:
I have a friend who pronounces Gencon as "ghen con" as in ghengis khan, not Gen as in generation (or geneva).

I do that, probably from only reading it and never hearing anyone ever say it out loud, and my tendency to pronounce g's like g's and not like j's. That's in spite of knowing where it came from and pronouncing Geneva properly.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Welverin said:
I do that, probably from only reading it and never hearing anyone ever say it out loud, and my tendency to pronounce g's like g's and not like j's. That's in spite of knowing where it came from and pronouncing Geneva properly.

I have a friend who insists on saying "Jyjax". It bugs me!

Welverin

First Post
Hobo said:
Heh. I always pronounce it like Jengis Khan. Considering that the alternate transliteration most commonly seen is Chingis Khan, I figured that that's much more likely.

The dictionary lists both as valid for English. I haven't yet looked up what it would actually be in Mongolian, but that's the kind of linguistics nerdy thing I would do.

While from what the Mongolians in the episode of Digging for the truth about him said, it's Chingis and Ghengis is a mistake that started in France, evolved, and spread.

Welverin

First Post
JRRNeiklot said:
Or an NFL announcer. Favre is not pronounced Farv. Danmit. :p

If you're referring to the Green Bay Packer named Brett it is.

If you're referring to the (I think) female basketball it isn't.

Aeolius

Adventurer
Eeee Ennn, for me... "N World" never would have occurred to me.

Granted, I'll go into lengthy debate about the pronunciation of GIF... Giff.. hard "G"... NOT Jiff... The G in GIF stands for Graphics, therefore GIF has a hard "G" sound, just as the word graphics does (though dictionary.com says both are correct).

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Of course, changing the title tags of these pages to say Eeee Ennn World will inevitably kill your search rankings in Google and Yahoo and MSN. Right when a ton of people are searching for it to see the news on 4e.

But you know, you'll have made the point on pronunciation and all to old users, which I am sure is more important than new users and hence the additional revenues that comes with those users.

Or not. :lol:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Mistwell said:
Of course, changing the title tags of these pages to say Eeee Ennn World will inevitably kill your search rankings in Google and Yahoo and MSN. Right when a ton of people are searching for it to see the news on 4e.

But you know, you'll have made the point on pronunciation and all to old users, which I am sure is more important than new users and hence the additional revenues that comes with those users.

Or not. :lol:

Thanks for the advice, but I think I'll reserve the right to decide where my priorities lie. :)

Besides, the news and 4E Info pages, which are the ones with the big pageranks, are still named EN.

Felix

Explorer
From Washington, DC, the land of the acronym, every player I know pronounces it Eee Ennn World

airwalkrr said:
Saying Nworld is easier because it has fewer syllables.
Ah-HAH! It becomes clear that the Nworldians are insurgent proponents of Newspeak! How long before pronouncing Eric Noah's initials becomes thoughtcrime and all of us right-thinking posters are lined up against the wall?

They must be cleansed before the same happens to us!

:D

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads