• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[merged] Site speed threads x3

SolitonMan

Explorer
Morrus, I don't know how tech savvy you are, but if you want to get a "behind the scenes" look at areas to improve performance, you might want to check out the site using Firefox with Firebug enabled and open. I've been doing so today because the site did seem to be taking quite a while, and what I saw showed that every page seems to be loading more than 500 kB of data, and in the case of a lot of the files, this is a repetitive download based on the building blocks used in the page (e.g. - topper.gif, topper2.gif, utilities.js, etc.). Since these features are used in each page, it might be useful to consider redoing the site in an AJAX format that then only retrieves the data necessary for the click, instead of retrieving every file every click.

FireBug also shows the download times for each resource, and today it's been taking no less than 30 seconds per page. I know that you're always striving to improve the site, so some fundamental changes might be useful.

Sorry if all of this is well known and simple to you, just thought I'd try to add in something helpful. Good luck! :)

thalmin

Retired game store owner
I don't know if this is related to the thread, but I can't get to ENWorld from IE8. I get a message " Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." I am running Windows 7. Same computer, I can get on with Safari.

Merkuri

Explorer
I don't know if this is related to the thread, but I can't get to ENWorld from IE8. I get a message " Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage." I am running Windows 7. Same computer, I can get on with Safari.

Try clearing the cache in IE.

IronWolf

blank
I just checked IE8 (not my usual browser) and the site works for me. The clearing cache suggestion sounds good. I did notice the newsflash thing at the top didn't appear to want to display the images. It says 'Progressive JPEG - unable to render'.

working here. What are you using now?

He noted he was using Safari to access the site now.

darjr

I crit!
I did see the issue with the jpgs in IE before. 'Progressive jpeg - unable to render'. [MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION]

Don't know how I missed the safari bit.

Last edited:

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
We've been flying. Eyebeams caught the remnants of an old deactivated hacking attempt that darjr has now completely removed. Even inactive, the malicious code was acting as an anchor. With it gone, everything is much, much snappier.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads