• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[merged] Site speed threads x3

Cergorach

The Laughing One
Earlier today it was working fine (not fast, but decent), now it's taking minutes for a page to load. If it loads at all, black pages, a few posts. Some pages won't completely at all (I assume a timeout). I noticed the trouble about 90 minutes ago.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
It's going a little faster now, but certainly not fast.

The meta forum or the forum index page takes ~10 seconds to load, the 4E forum takes ~30 seconds to load and a full page thread ~10-15 seconds.

I am located in Europe, but have a very fast internet connection 100Mbit (up and down).
Response time to enworld.org is 127-129ms (US?), to a website in my own country it's 2-4ms, to a site in germany it's 22-24ms and to the UK it's 15-23ms. To wizards.com (US) as well it's 191-193ms and that is loading way faster then enworld.org.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
As I mentioned before, folks, we know about the speed issues. If they happen to you, they happen to us, too. Posting "me too" doesn't help us.

We have hardware lined up; we're just getting our ducks in a row so that we can get it all in place.

renau1g

First Post
Will there be a site disruption if you are installing some new hardware? Just curious. Also, would there be an ETA on that disruption.

Thanks!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
We'll let you know in advance; right now I don't actually know. This high-level tech stuff is beyond me, but we have good people working on it.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
As I mentioned before, folks, we know about the speed issues. If they happen to you, they happen to us, too. Posting "me too" doesn't help us.

We have hardware lined up; we're just getting our ducks in a row so that we can get it all in place.

1.) The issue was first mentioned almost two months ago.
2.) Piratcat made the following comment:
We've been flying. Eyebeams caught the remnants of an old deactivated hacking attempt that darjr has now completely removed. Even inactive, the malicious code was acting as an anchor. With it gone, everything is much, much snappier.

It wasn't all that much snappier at certain times, so I posted as such of a bug report as I was able to. Maybe someone 'upstairs assumed that with Eyebeams 'fix' the issue was resolved (it wasn't).

Merkuri

Explorer
If they happen to you, they happen to us, too.

That's not always the case, you know. It is now, but sometimes problems on one user's computer or network can make the site slow for them and no one else. So if the site is slow for you it's normal to drop by the Meta forum and say, "Hey, is the site slow for anyone else?" or look for other users who have said the same.

We're not trying to annoy you or rush you, we're just confirming to each other that no, it's not us, it's the site. And especially when the site sped up briefly, one of the mods mentioned that something got fixed, and then the site slowed down again, we need to reaffirm with each other that it's still the site.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads