D&D 5E metamagic feats

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I like the maneuvers and I like the reaction and the extra standard action.
I don't like the expertise dice though as I think it adds unneeded complexity to the game. We also have to track the XD now and remember that we reacted so that we can't do a maneuver during an action.

Here is how we can keep the maneuvers and reaction and dump the XD.

Everybody starts with one main action, one off-hand action, and one reaction out of turn.

Don't let the reaction negate extra actions. Therefore you just need to track the number of reactions you take out of turn.

At 5th level, you get another main action.
At 10th level, another off-hand action.
At 15th level, another reaction.
At 20th level,(for the sake of argument, let's say it ends here.)
At 25th level,
At 30th level,

A maneuver counts as a standard action and is toHit or toSave rolled and does full damage.

Hate to break it to you... but while you might think Expertise Dice is "needless complexity"... what you've posited here sure isn't better on that front.

Li Shenron

Legend
In the most recent Rule of Three, someone suggested using a similar mechanic to expertise dice for spellcaster's metamagic feats.

Rodney... kind of said... no.

I hope they don't do it. Giving ED to spellcasters does less bad to the Fighter than giving it to other (semi)martial classes, but just try to imagine... at every spellcaster's turn, the Wiz or Cle or Dru player not only has to think which spell to cast, but she also has to think how to use the ED. This would be a minumum of 2 tactical choices, considering that in the past spellcasters classes were usually not suggested to beginners and casual players, doubling the mandatory tactical choices makes them even more difficult. But also in the hands of a regular player, the idea could make combat run more slowly.

But, I don't know. I wouldn't suggest the (say) wizard class having the expertise dice built into the class as a feature. I recommend having a feat that creates your pool.

One feat gives you a d4 (for instance), other feats increase either the die type or the amount of the dice in your available pool...

I like the concept, but haven't been doing as much of the D&D play-testing as I'd like. Too much Edge of the Empire. So, what does others think?

As an option, it would definitely be more possible. I would not be able to design such thing so that it would be balanced, but maybe the WotC designers can.

Brainwatch

Explorer
Not sure if i like the idea of expertise dice for mages. I think it might change the feel of the game too much. That being said how would something like that look/work? I see three basic questions that would need to be answered:

1: What changes to current spells/magic would need to be made.
2: How many dice and how often they refresh.
3: What can you actually do with the dice.

So after a few minutes of thought here are some ideas.

1a: Spell damage no longer increases with character level. We'll use the dice to augment the damage below. this might not work for all spells but running with it for now.

1b: Remove magic missile as a spell. We'll add it back below as a power using the dice.

2a: Since Mages always seemed to be more about recourse management, and to differentiate these dice from the fighters, I think the dice should refresh only after a short rest.

2b: So how many? with the fact that I'm only handing them a few dice for the entire combat, and they are manly use to augment spells I'm thinking of limiting the number of dice to the Mages level plus ability bonus. This gives the Mage a nice sized pool at ow levels without being overwheming at higher levels.

2c: I'm thinking of leaving the dice as d4 for now. but leaning towards letting them increase to d6 at higher level, say around 10.

3: So what can we do with these dice:

a: Augment Damage: a Mage can spend a number of dice up to the number equal to the highest level spell they can cast and add those dice to the damage done to for the spell. Example, a 5th level Mage spends 3 dice to augment the damage on his Fireball spell. The Mage then rolls 5d6 plus the 3d4 for the total damage.

b: Magic Missile: The Mage can spend a number of dice up to the number equal to the highest level spell they can cast. Each die represents one missile and will strike a target unerringly. The Missiles need not be all cast at the same target.

c: Silent Spell: The Mage spends one Die and removes the Verbal component from a spell as it is cast.

d: Still Spell: the Mage spends one die and removes the Somatic component from a spell as it is cast

e: Replenish Dice: a Mage rolls any number of their remaining dice and adds the total to his current dice pool. Regardless of the result the Mage may not have more dice than their maximum.

Some other effects that I'm not sure what they should cost at the moment:
Change Energy Type: Spend dice change fireball into Ice Ball
Expand Effect: Spend dice effect more area, Line spells might be cheaper than spheres
Expand Duration: Spend dice, your effect last longer.
Increased Resistance: Spend dice, it's harder to save against the spell.
Increase Dice Size: Spend Dice bump up damage dice to next size.

Again just some quick thought off the top of my head. Some of this still needs some tweaking.

MoonSong

Rules-lawyering drama queen but not a munchkin
Not sure if i like the idea of expertise dice for mages. I think it might change the feel of the game too much. That being said how would something like that look/work? I see three basic questions that would need to be answered:

1: What changes to current spells/magic would need to be made.
2: How many dice and how often they refresh.
3: What can you actually do with the dice.

So after a few minutes of thought here are some ideas.

1a: Spell damage no longer increases with character level. We'll use the dice to augment the damage below. this might not work for all spells but running with it for now.

1b: Remove magic missile as a spell. We'll add it back below as a power using the dice.

2a: Since Mages always seemed to be more about recourse management, and to differentiate these dice from the fighters, I think the dice should refresh only after a short rest.

2b: So how many? with the fact that I'm only handing them a few dice for the entire combat, and they are manly use to augment spells I'm thinking of limiting the number of dice to the Mages level plus ability bonus. This gives the Mage a nice sized pool at ow levels without being overwheming at higher levels.

2c: I'm thinking of leaving the dice as d4 for now. but leaning towards letting them increase to d6 at higher level, say around 10.

3: So what can we do with these dice:

a: Augment Damage: a Mage can spend a number of dice up to the number equal to the highest level spell they can cast and add those dice to the damage done to for the spell. Example, a 5th level Mage spends 3 dice to augment the damage on his Fireball spell. The Mage then rolls 5d6 plus the 3d4 for the total damage.

b: Magic Missile: The Mage can spend a number of dice up to the number equal to the highest level spell they can cast. Each die represents one missile and will strike a target unerringly. The Missiles need not be all cast at the same target.

c: Silent Spell: The Mage spends one Die and removes the Verbal component from a spell as it is cast.

d: Still Spell: the Mage spends one die and removes the Somatic component from a spell as it is cast

e: Replenish Dice: a Mage rolls any number of their remaining dice and adds the total to his current dice pool. Regardless of the result the Mage may not have more dice than their maximum.

Some other effects that I'm not sure what they should cost at the moment:
Change Energy Type: Spend dice change fireball into Ice Ball
Expand Effect: Spend dice effect more area, Line spells might be cheaper than spheres
Expand Duration: Spend dice, your effect last longer.
Increased Resistance: Spend dice, it's harder to save against the spell.
Increase Dice Size: Spend Dice bump up damage dice to next size.

Again just some quick thought off the top of my head. Some of this still needs some tweaking.
Well, what I can see from it, is that it indeed would change the game too much

Remove ads