Metamagiced Items?

Tsyr

Explorer
Yeah. Is it possible to create a magic item with metamagic in the spells to get different/better effects out of it? Like persistant spell, for example?

hong

WotC's bitch
Yes. Treat it as if creating an item with the higher spell level. For instance, a wand of maximised magic missile crafted by a wizard would have a minimum market price of 4 (spell level) x 7 (caster level) x 750 = 21000 gp.

Paladin

Explorer
I've been wondering about this recently myself. Now, I know you can make the Wand of Maximized Magic Missiles. However, I'm wondering what counts as the spell level? If you were to prepare a Maximized Magic Missile, it would take up a 4th level slot.
However, the only metamagic feat that ACTUALLY raises a spell's level is Heighten Spell. Now, wands can only have spells of up to 4th level stored in them.
So my question is: can you have a Wand of Maximized Fireball? The actual spell level, even metamagicked, is still 3rd level. I can see for pricing purposes basing the cost on the metamagicked spell level, but in reality, the spell IS still 3rd level (assuming you don't Heighten it). To make the Wand of Maximized Fireballs, you'd have:

6 (effective spell level) x 10 (caster level) x 750 = 45,000 gp

Is this legal?

melkoriii

First Post
Paladin has it right.

You need to use Heighten spell feat to actualy make the spell a new lvl.

Max MM is still a 1st lvl spell. it just take a spell slot of 4th lvl

Same with anyother meta-magic feat.

hong

WotC's bitch
melkoriii said:
Paladin has it right.

You need to use Heighten spell feat to actualy make the spell a new lvl.

Max MM is still a 1st lvl spell. it just take a spell slot of 4th lvl

Same with anyother meta-magic feat.

From the DMG, p.241: "Using metamagic feats, a caster can place spells in items at a higher level than normal. For example, a caster could heighten a spell's level to increase its effectiveness, or quicken a spell to allow it to be used as a free action, placing it within the item at the higher metamagic level." A metamagiced spell thus counts as a higher-level spell for item creation purposes.

melkoriii

First Post
hong said:

From the DMG, p.241: "Using metamagic feats, a caster can place spells in items at a higher level than normal. For example, a caster could heighten a spell's level to increase its effectiveness, or quicken a spell to allow it to be used as a free action, placing it within the item at the higher metamagic level." A metamagiced spell thus counts as a higher-level spell for item creation purposes.

Ah I missed that. Interesting how meta-magic feats always say the spell stays the same lvl unless heightned then they say they are higher lvl spells wiht item creation.

kreynolds

First Post
melkoriii said:
Ah I missed that. Interesting how meta-magic feats always say the spell stays the same lvl unless heightned then they say they are higher lvl spells wiht item creation.

That's because they're talking about save DC's and such, which don't go up unless a spell is heightened. That's why it's so interesting, and completely understandable. :)

Corwin

Explorer
melkoriii said:

It may be interesting, I guess, but not conflicting or illogical.

Even a magic item (lets say a staff) that casts a quickened, maximized magic missile is still only casting a 1st level spell. So something like a minor globe of invulnerability still stops it, etc.

But because it is a very potent item, it must be priced as something more than the 1st level spell it is. So you use the effective slot level to find out its value.

Something like that would be 8 (slot level) x 15 (min. caster level) x 750 (staff, 50 charges, spell trigger) = 90,000 gp.

This thing can fire off a cluster of 5 magic missiles as a free action, once per round, doing 5 points of damage each (so 25 points). But it's still a 1st level spell.

Paladin

Explorer
With some help from the SKR boards, here's the rule from the PH:

Page 78, second column;

"Magic Items and Metamagic Spells: With the right item creation feat, you can store a metamagic spell in a scroll, potion or wand. Level limits for potions and wands apply to the spell's higher, metamagic level. A character doesn't need the metamagic feat to activate an item storing a metamagic spell."

So, no wand of maximized fireballs. :(

Remove ads