• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Meteor Swarm Vs. All other spells & DMG's spell creation guidelines

Meteor Swarm Vs. DMG's spell creation guidelines

the Jester

Legend
...since swapping spells specifically does not change CR's for spellcasters

I didn't see that in that link to Mearls' Twitter, but I didn't follow it for long- did I miss it? Or is that stated somewhere else?

EDIT: I see you answered this above, thanks! That's advice I will discard, for sure.

I have always very much felt that changing spells does change a creature's CR; there's a vast difference in challenge between a wizard who is packing meteor swarm and one who is packing, say, astral spell. For that matter, you could- not saying it's a good idea or sensible, but you could- design an archmage's prepared spell list with nothing above 2nd level. That definitely ought to change the CR.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
I didn't see that in that link to Mearls' Twitter, but I didn't follow it for long- did I miss it? Or is that stated somewhere else?

EDIT: I see you answered this above, thanks! That's advice I will discard, for sure.

I have always very much felt that changing spells does change a creature's CR; there's a vast difference in challenge between a wizard who is packing meteor swarm and one who is packing, say, astral spell. For that matter, you could- not saying it's a good idea or sensible, but you could- design an archmage's prepared spell list with nothing above 2nd level. That definitely ought to change the CR.
Jester, you’re talking to someone who hasn’t posted on these forums in years.

gyor

Legend
A Sorcerer with that new class variant metamagic can make the 20D6 fire damage, cold/electric/acid/thunder instead.

Remove ads