Microlite20 : the smallest thing in gaming

robocoastie

Explorer
Technomancer said:
Greywulf,

Just from reading it over once, why would anyone play a rogue? Fighters have more armor choices and get the bonus to attack and damage, wizards and clerics get their spells, but the rogue gets nothing but a +3 to one skill, which all the other classes get as well in addition to their other abilities.

you've become too restricted to the anal retentive skills introduced into 3.x and which permeates MMORG's. MicroLite20 takes after the philosophy of original D&D in which rules were fudged or even ignored and more was left up to the PLAYER than the character. RP done correctly would allow the more brilliant an idea the player comes up with to trump rules rather than be confined to charts and die rolls.

Grimstaff

Explorer
robocoastie said:
you've become too restricted to the anal retentive skills introduced into 3.x and which permeates MMORG's. MicroLite20 takes after the philosophy of original D&D in which rules were fudged or even ignored and more was left up to the PLAYER than the character. RP done correctly would allow the more brilliant an idea the player comes up with to trump rules rather than be confined to charts and die rolls.
Rogues get sneak attacks, too.

Grimstaff

Explorer
I ran a quick 1-hour Micro demo the other night with 3 players while waiting for the other 2 to show up. It involved a riverbarge chase, an angry lord, and some ugly aquatic ankhegs, in the Wilderlands (near Tarantis).

Had a blast!

This game takes all of 5 minutes to roll up characters and learn the basic rules, provided everyone has at least a basic knowledge of D&D in general.

I'm newly amazed by this system each time I run it. The books are nice and light too... :p

Ry

Explorer
I'm dabbling in microlite territory again... one of my players convinced me to give it a shot.

The request was for 6 stats, level, class, and race to matter like they matter in D&D, but we get to do a bunch of other cool stuff too, at the very least Conviction and Raising the Stakes.

Oh, man! I just figured out how to do freeform magic off of the spell-based Microlite20 magic system! Raising the Stakes! OMG.

yonagi

First Post
Microlite20 and Assistance With Supplements

I've recently come back to playing 3.5; mostly due to the fact that my wife and I really, really wanted to try E6. So we are doing so. But we're interested in trying Microlite20 next. Possibly with E6 and Raising the Stakes. Which led to the following question:

Has anyone tried implementing maneuvers from The Tome of Battles into Microlite20?

I'm wondering if a class from that sourcebook should just be treated as a Fighter, lose the +1 attack/damage bonus, and gain maneuvers in its place is a worthwhile trade. Or perhaps just having each maneuver as a spell effect that these classes can learn. Would the first option effectively make the character akin to an armored mage?

Thoughts?

greywulf

First Post
Phew. I've been offline for a while (ok, a few months, on and off. Ouch!), but (as of about 5 minutes ago), we're baaaaaaaaaaack :)

Boy, am I glad too.

Big Shiny will be out when my gamer group gets back into Microlite20. Right now we're stuck in the middle of an (excellent) d20 Modern campaign, alternating with a D&D "back to basics" campaign. After that, who knows..............

:)

Ry

Explorer
So here's the idea:
Stat mods like 3e (STR +0, DEX +1, etc.) and Level.
Add level to each stat and you have the secondary stats: Might, Reflex, Fortitude, Insight, Will, and Style. Hitpoints are (5+CON)*Level.
Core mechanic is Players (and players only) roll 1d20+Secondary Stat+Modifiers versus target number. Thus, when PCs avoid being hit, they roll 1d20 and add Reflex (in light armor) or Fortitude (in heavy armor).

NPCs and obstacles are defined in essentially the same way, except that instead of rolling the GM adds the following based on how hard the action is for the PC:

NPC's Roll, based on PC's difficulty
5 = Easy
10 = Average
15 = Difficult
20 = Daunting

(Edit: These are also what the "world" rolls if no opposition is involved)

Last edited:

Remove ads