Microlite20 : the smallest thing in gaming

mediapig

First Post
I think what I will do is this:

When Converting Clerics I'll use their Wisdom, since that is their focus.

When converting Mages I'll use thier INT, for the same reason

When converting all other classes, I'll average the two.

That way, the people who really depend on Mind don't get penalised, and everyone else doesn't have unusually high Mind scores.

greywulf

First Post
mediapig said:
I think what I will do is this:
When Converting Clerics I'll use their Wisdom, since that is their focus.
When converting Mages I'll use thier INT, for the same reason
When converting all other classes, I'll average the two.
That way, the people who really depend on Mind don't get penalised, and everyone else doesn't have unusually high Mind scores.

Sounds good to me.

Considering I've still to .finalize the Big Ugly pdf of Microlite20, all the rules, options, adventures and game settings due to work commitments..........

........anyone fancy working on Microlite20 4th Edition? :)

And if so, what would you change?

kensanata

Explorer
Simplify multiple attacks.

greywulf said:
And if so, what would you change?

I think you should bury Big Shiny. Make it smaller. Make it Just Shiny.

As for 4th edition: I want to get rid of multiple attacks. Or, if not possible, have all attacks using the same attack bonus. And that is doable, I think! We're being generally a bit generous with multiple attacks (using the current attack bonus instead of the base attack bonus to determine the number of attacks) in order to simulate all the fighter bonus feats fighters no longer have. But there's wriggle room. For example:

• Everybody just gets one attack.
  • In order to attack twice, you need to make both attacks at -2, if and only if your resulting attack bonus is at least +1.
  • In order to attack thrice, you need to make all attacks at -5, if and only if your resulting attack bonus is at least +1.
  • In order to attack four times, you need to make all attacks at -10, if and only if your resulting attack bonus is at least +1.

greywulf

First Post
kensanata said:
  • Everybody just gets one attack.
  • In order to attack twice, you need to make both attacks at -2, if and only if your resulting attack bonus is at least +1.
  • In order to attack thrice, you need to make all attacks at -5, if and only if your resulting attack bonus is at least +1.
  • In order to attack four times, you need to make all attacks at -10, if and only if your resulting attack bonus is at least +1.

I'm thinking of simplifying it even further, just to:

Everybody just gets one attack.

Works for me :)

mediapig

First Post
Talents

One thing I added to my game was a very simple Talent system, to work along with the skill system. At character creation, Humans get 5 talent points, all other races get 4.

A talent can be anything... a skill off the old SRD, a quality such as "poker face" or a new skill the player makes up, such as "seamanship."

You buy them on a 1 to 1 basis, so if I put 3 talent points into seamanship, and 2 into Poker Face, I get a +3 bonus on skill rolls involving boats, and +2 bonus to skill rolls involving bluffing at the card table. These bonuses are in additon to the skill levels involved. These would generally only apply to non combat situations, but the DM might let players use them to reduce penatlies when appropriate. For instance, 2 characters are fighting on a boat in stormy seas, with a -2 penatly. The DM might allow the character with seamnship +3 to use his talent, and eliminate the penalty.

I added this just to give a bit of variety between two characters of the same class, but still keep things really simple. I love the four skill system, and definetely don't want to lose that! But it seemed to me a fighter who is a pirate on the high seas, for instance, should have a way to be better with boats than a mountain barbarian!

Speaking of, I go back and forth on this, but what do you think of adding Barbarian & Ranger classes? Too much? I could go either way...

bytor4232

First Post
Hey guys! I haven't posted in a while, but I'm still using Microlite20. I wanted to drop a line about a Microlite20 experience I had this weekend.

My mother in law had to go into the hospital for a Dissected Aorta. I volunteered to keep the kids happy (my kids, nieces, and nephews, all under 10). We played a few games, then they wanted to play D&D. I always carry a set of dice and the PocketMods of Microlite20. Everyone had a great time. It really helped them to take their minds off the surgery and reasons for being up at the hospital. We rolled up the characters in about five minutes. I drew the dungeon on the fly on graph paper, and they indicated where they were. I threw in random monsters, traps, and whatnot. In the time it would have took to roll up D&D characters, we had played through about a dozen encounters.

I know I've said it before, but Microlite20 is awesome. Tonight was a prime example of where this game system just shines.

greywulf

First Post
mediapig said:
One thing I added to my game was a very simple Talent system, to work along with the skill system. At character creation, Humans get 5 talent points, all other races get 4.
{snip}

Interesting idea. Maybe something like Risus' cliche idea might work for this; pick a schtick, situation or trait for your character, get a +2 when it applies. Kinda like 1,001 of all the Feats out there, but genericized. 5 talent points is too many though; I'd suggest 2 at 1st level, with an extra 1 every 5th level on.

For example, a brash Barbarian type could have "Stronger when angry" to get +2 damage when he's riled, and "Brother to the Wolf" to get +2 to situations involving wolf, doggies and other canines and members of the Wolf Tribe.

A ranger-type could take "Great tracker" to get +2 tracking stuff, and "One with the arrow" to get +2 to hit with the bow.

mediapig said:
Speaking of, I go back and forth on this, but what do you think of adding Barbarian & Ranger classes? Too much? I could go either way...

Did you see what I did then? :) Didya? Didya? :)

greywulf

First Post
bytor4232 said:
{snip}

I know I've said it before, but Microlite20 is awesome. Tonight was a prime example of where this game system just shines.

Man, that's excellent, and //exactly// what Microlite20 is designed for.

you make me happy

mediapig

First Post
greywulf said:
Interesting idea. Maybe something like Risus' cliche idea might work for this; pick a schtick, situation or trait for your character, get a +2 when it applies. Kinda like 1,001 of all the Feats out there, but genericized. 5 talent points is too many though; I'd suggest 2 at 1st level, with an extra 1 every 5th level on.

For example, a brash Barbarian type could have "Stronger when angry" to get +2 damage when he's riled, and "Brother to the Wolf" to get +2 to situations involving wolf, doggies and other canines and members of the Wolf Tribe.

A ranger-type could take "Great tracker" to get +2 tracking stuff, and "One with the arrow" to get +2 to hit with the bow.

Did you see what I did then? :) Didya? Didya? :)

Yeah man, something like that! One of the things I love about the system is how simple the characters are, while staying true to their essence. I don't think it's a coincidence that the ONLY monk chracter I have ever made in my life was a Microlite20 monk. "Oh, I see, his fists are like weapons, and his armor class goes up naturally... cool!"

That's all I need. Barbarian": "He's good in the wild and get's stronger when he's angry... cool!" Save the rest of the detail for the players and role playing!

Remove ads