Microlite20 : the smallest thing in gaming

greywulf

First Post
Hey that looks great! Suitably old school too; hex maps always bring a fond tear to me eye. Yours is excellent. Out of interest, how did you create it? I'm looking for a good way to make hex maps.

Your overview descriptions of the lands reminds me a lot of this ancient thread I'm currently re-reading over on RPGnet about 101 days of the Rules Cyclopedia. Funny how there's a big turnaround for all things old-school in the middle of this broohaha about the mythical 4th Edition of D&D.

I guess role-playing is like cars; the more them become computerized, the more folks yearn for the raw mechanical simplicity of yesteryear.

I know I do.

derek_cleric

First Post
greywulf said:
Hey that looks great! Suitably old school too; hex maps always bring a fond tear to me eye. Yours is excellent. Out of interest, how did you create it? I'm looking for a good way to make hex maps.

I made it with AKS Hexmapper (http://home.paonline.com/zaikoski/ak/TOOLS.HTM) and then added the coastlines and labels with a freeware graphics editor called Quick View (http://ccambien.free.fr/qv26.zip) I used The Gimp (http://www.gimp.org/) to resave the .bmp to a .png.

There's a new beta version of Hexmapper available via the Yahoo! Hexmapper group called Adventure Writer. It's Hex Mapper on steroids! You should check it out.

--Ray.

greywulf

First Post
The server is kinda dead right now, but should hopefully be back online in the (very) near future, according to the admins.

Fingers crossed till then........

Ry

Explorer
Hey 'wulf, I've got updated Conviction rules, and a death flag and a raise mechanic that you might love for Microlite (or even ultramicrolite). They're in the E6 document, they're OGL, please smash and grab. See the sig for the link to the thread, the .pdf is being worked on by another.

derek_cleric

First Post
Darrell said:
Well, if you have a look at the map I posted earlier, that's pretty much what you're gonna get with my Dragonclaw Barony setting. Major cities and towns will be tagged, along with a few fortresses and known adventuring locales, and there'll be a few paragraphs of text describing what lies to the north, south, east, and west (as well as a basic history of the area), but I'm primarily leaving it open for DM development.

Darrell,

Just to double-check... DCB and the map are OGL, correct? I'd like to edit and reuse the map for another home brew fantasy setting if I could. :)

--Ray.

Last edited:

mediapig

First Post
D20 to Microlite20 conversion

Hey, I'm new to this whole Microlite20 thing, and I have a really basic question. I;m sure it;s been covered somewhere, but I can;t seem to find it.

When converting normal D20 characters & NPC's to Microlite20, how do you generate the Mind stat? I wasn't sure if I should use INT, WIS, or an average of the 2? Or something else? If anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks!

So far, I'm loving the system! I can't believe it's so easy and quick, and yet so compatible with all the great support stuff out there for D20!

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
mediapig said:
When converting normal D20 characters & NPC's to Microlite20, how do you generate the Mind stat? I wasn't sure if I should use INT, WIS, or an average of the 2? Or something else? If anyone knows, please let me know. Thanks!

Personally speaking, I average standard d20 Stats to get Microlite ratings when converting, though I'm admittedly very picky when it comes to maths and game conversion (as some here can attest to).

mediapig

First Post
Cool, thanks for the info! I was thinking of either doing that, or just using the Higher of the two, depending on class. I was curious what the original intent was though.

Remove ads