• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Microlite20 : the smallest thing in gaming

bytor4232

First Post
I agree. Playing D&D with my 6 year old. Running one shot games. Introducing new players to the game and RPGs in general. Taking a break from the campaign thats been dragging on and on for the last year. Running that really cool Dungeon module from the latest issue. Being board on vacation and just wanting to play a quick game. Making a quick player for the guy passing by the table and wants to try D&D out. Generating NPCs on the fly during your regular D&D game. Thats what I'm using m20 for.

It has its uses. I showed the system to my players in my various games, and they all wanted to stick with D&D, but are willing to run one-shots. I think as much as people complain about the rules, they still love to cloak themselves in 100 lbs of books. And I can't say that I blame them.

WSmith

First Post
I need to get some time to check out the Macropedia. There are a few comments I want to make about the text, for the sake of clarification.

I do have one question though. Since my memory of the way d20 stat blocks work, if we use this stat block from the rules...

Code:
Bugbear HD 3d8+3 (16 hp)
AC 17
Morningstar +5 (1d8+2)

When the bugbear attacks, is the attack bonus subsumed in the attack modifer? For example, When this bugbear attcks, is it correct to just roll 1d20 and add +5? I am guessing the +3 for having 3 HD is part of that, correct? Cause +8 would be pretty mighty, even for a bugbear.

greywulf

First Post
Yep, he's at +5 total to hit, nothing more to add except maybe situation modifiers.

In m20 terms, he's got +3 from his HD, +2 from somewhere else, probably STR.

Hope that clarifies :)

WSmith

First Post
greywulf said:
Yep, he's at +5 total to hit, nothing more to add except maybe situation modifiers.

In m20 terms, he's got +3 from his HD, +2 from somewhere else, probably STR.

Hope that clarifies :)

Thanks. That helps a bunch.

snikle

First Post
Greywulf! I love what you did with the 4x5 magic system, that rocks! I am pretty sure I will be using it in my PbP, and maybe in some one-shots I am thinking of running. Thanks for the hard work!

greywulf

First Post
Thanks, snikle. I'm expecting playtest feedback early next week, so I hope it works!

More posting later, including some Magic Items for Microlite20 and a write-up of the climactic end to Chicken Royale. I really ought to write it up as a M20 Modern adventure too.

snikle

First Post
I took your 4x5 system and remodeled it a wee bit to fit in line with some of my thoughts on magic. I am calling it 5x5: ;)

Magi begin play at 1st level knowing three Words of Power - either Two Actions and One Realm, or Two Realms and One Action. They learn one new Word of Power every two levels (3,5,7, etc).

The Five Actions
  • Enhance (augeo): Strengthen, Heal, Enlarge, Repair, Sharpen, etc.
  • Diminish (infirmo): Weaken, Damage, Injure, Reduce, Break, Dull, Deteriorate, etc.
  • Communicate with (defero): Sense, Read, Seek, Inform, Determine, Understand, etc.
  • Control (tempero): Shape, Hold, Command, Direct, Dictate, etc.
  • Create (genero): Summon, Create,
    Create is difficult to learn, and you may not learn Create spells until you have learned all of the other Actions.

The Five Realms
  • Body (corpus): Living body of sentient beings, animals, plants.
  • Mind (mentis): That which normally inhabits and animates a body
  • Energy (navitas): Fire, water, air, magic, [electricity, etc.] - and, if the GM is willing, time.
  • Matter (materia): Solid material with no mind - stone, metal, wood, leather, paper, [plastic, etc.]
  • Spirit (animus): The essence or soul. Spirit is difficult to learn, and you may not learn Spirit spells until you have learned at least three other Realms and three Actions

Difficulty Checks
Spells are cast by combining a Word with an Action and successfully making a Magical Attack (Level+MIND) check. Note: characters must be able to speak the enchantment to be able to cast.

The DC for the check is determined by the GM at the time of casting. There is no 'set in stone' list of modifiers and allot is left up to the GM to determine. The list below is examples of what can affect the difficulty of the casting:
  • Exact circumstances of when the spell was cast
  • Willingness of the target
  • Distance to the target
  • Area of effect
  • Intended effect of spell
  • How rushed the caster is
  • Caster's familiarity with the spell (have they cast it often before)

The Cost of Spells
Each spell has a cost that is associated with it. The previous list of things that can affect the DC, also affect the cost in HP of. A simple easy spell, such at lighting a torch, or mending a cloak might only cost 1HP, where as casting a massive fireball that engulfs 3 orcs might cost 6HP. Prior to casting a spell, the GM will announce the DC and the cost of the spell. Players may opt to spend addition HP to increase their chance for success, 1HP per +1 modifier to the casting. If a magi reaches 0HP due to casting, he passes out, regaining 1HP per hour of rest. The HP lost due to spell casting cannot be healed and must be regenerated over time, HP lost due to spell casting recovers at a rate of about 1 per hour.

Duration of Spells
Spells that affect inanimate objects are generally permanent; an enlarged pebble will stay large, a broken belt will stay mended. Magically created fires, etc, will die down naturally. Living creatures will eventually revert back to their normal form, though any healed damage stays healed. Some spells can have continuing costs that must be spent to keep the spell 'active'.

Spell Effects
Every 5 (or part) points of success is equal to 1d8 effect, thus if the DC was 10 and the player rolled 11, it produces 1d8 worth of effect, if they rolled a 16, then 2d8 worth of effect was caused. This can take the form of damage, healing, transformation, or length of effect; to turn one thing into another the total effect rolled must equal the difference between the two hit point totals. That’s why it’s so easy to turn commoners into toads, but Magi turn into dragons.

snikle

First Post
Ok, this came up with our game.....divine magic. For simplicity's sack, I would say use the same system....but players have mentioned that it doesn't really seem to fit for them, why does it take the caster's HP when the magic should come from the god, not the PC, etc...

An idea we came up with:
Have a Divine Pool in place of a cleric's HP, this is equal to their maximum HP. They get full access to all actions + realms at first level, however, the cleric is limited to effects that would be in line with their deity. This pool does not regenerate with rest like normal HP do for the magi, instead the cleric will have to pray/perform rituals/make sacrifices/etc to get these back. Could make up a quick table for how much is regained:
daily prayer: d4
ornate ritual: d8
sacrifice (in whatever form would be appropriate): d12

kensanata

Explorer
I'd say channeling the energy doesn't come for free, it tasks your body and soul just as any other kind of magic. You need your daily prayers & rituals to gain divine grace in the first place. If you want to heal somebody, for example, I'd expect you to feel weak with cold sweat running down your back. But at least you saved the poor sod and mended his broken collar bone... Something like that.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads