D&D 5E Middle-earth Hobbits and D&D Halflings in 5e

Steely_Dan

First Post
There are two problems with harkening back to Tolkein. First: even by the ancient Appendix N, and considering modern D&D, turf is quite a bit more to draw from than simply Tolkein. Second: at the time, LOTR was enjoyed largely by avid readers and fantasy geeks. Now it is a multi-billion-dollar franchise, which means copyrights, copyrights and more copyrights. As a brand that already doesn't bring in much money, the last thing D&D needs to do is get bogged down in huge copyright costs.

Hobbits and other Tolkein lore are cool and all, but I think D&D has enough material to stand creativly on its own at this point.

Oh, I totally agree, that's why, as I previously posted, Halflings/Hobbits and Orcs do not exist in any D&D campaigns (worlds etc) I run, unless it's set in Middle-Earth.

I think 4e rules captured classic Halflings pretty well, barring imagery.

Thanks for the comparison Mengu. Yes, the 4e Halfling matches well.

Some comments on how the other Hobbit traits might be included as D&D5e Halfling racial abilities, if this were desirable:

Difficult to Daunt - +5 racial bonus to saving throws against fear, and some additional support via tools like Halfling Scoundrel paragon path.

I wonder: would resistance to Dominate effects also be fitting?

Difficult to Kill - Second Chance

Yes, that's fitting.

Curiously Tough; Tough as Old Tree-Roots; Survive Rough Handling by Grief, Foe, or Weather; - Optional +2 Con, Second Chance, myriad of Second Chance improving feats

Recover Wonderfully from Falls and Bruises - +2 bonus to Acrobatics

This might be more vigorous and direct--for example, Halflings might actual heal and recover from certain effects (dazed, stunned, exhaustion, despair) faster than humans.

Free from Ambition; Free from Greed of Wealth - nothing, though these are mostly just role playing aspects

Yes, but they could also be made into palpable rules--for example, maybe get a save bonus versus temptations (whether social- or magical-based) related to monetary wealth or position of power.

Doughty at Bay; Amazing and Unexpected Heroism "At a Pinch" - not much there, everyone is heroic in 4e.

Okay, yet what about a feature that gave the Halfling some kind of Action Point effect when cornered?

Sure at the Mark (throwing and shooting) - +2 Dex, and feat support, such as Deft Hurler

I note that D&D has only kept the benefit to throwing, not with shooting the bow. At the end of the LotR, the Shire-muster drives the Ruffians out with shortbows.

Work Like Bees - nothing

This could be helpful in non-combat situations: when two or more Halflings are laboring on the same project (digging a hole, building or crafting something, etc.), they get it done quicker and better than if they worked separately.

Fund (Fond?) of Wisdom and Wise Sayings - nothing there, but there is something to be said for their love of singing and story telling supported by the optional +2 charisma.

I imagine this as a non-magical ability which functions similar to the Commune spell. Perhaps once per day, when a Halfling doesn't know what to do, a traditional proverb or saying comes to mind.

For flavor/fluff in a Middle-earth game, I'd have a big list of 19th century Traditional English sayings for the GM to choose from. But in a D&D game, I might just skip the fluff.

Last edited:

Remove ads