Middle Earth - LotR

Swiftbrook

First Post
I'm looking for the Lord of the Rings/Middle Earth d20 site if there is one. I thought there was one hosted on ENWorld but I can't find it. Appologies if I'm blind.

Also, is there an 'official' site, or just lots of fan d20 LotR sites?

-Swiftbrook

Swiftbrook

First Post
Steel Wind, thanks for the quick reply. The material looks interesting but I'm really looking for d20 stuff. I don't want to learn a new system, just want some setting/class/feat/Prestige class info for d20/dnd.

-Swiftbrook

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
There was a Middle Earth d20 fan site, but it pretty much died a death due to lack of interest. There are loads of (old) threads in the Conversions forum if you feel like digging them out - you may need to go back a good while, though.

twofalls

DM Beadle
As Steel pointed out the setting info is available by decipher, you don't need to use the system, just use the setting. I own most of the old ICE martial Steel mentioned and its fantastic fluff on LoTR. Once you have the setting info just use stock D&D. You will need to eliminate Monks, and there will be a problem with D&D's flashy magic system (distinctly non-Tolkieneque in feel)... but really I'd think it would be quite easy really. The Midnight (Fantasy Flight Games) magic system might be a good start. Midnight as a campaign setting has a strong Tolkien feel to it... just a bit twisted around. :)

Galethorn

First Post
There is/was the ME d20 page here on ENWorld, but it disappeared in the big site shuffle a month or two back. Well, as far as I know...I sure can't get any links to it to work.

Steel_Wind

Legend
Another alternative is to use the magic system in Green Ronin's The Black Company. Together with its healing rules, that may well be entirely appropriate to your vision of Middle Earth if you prefer a *generally* low magic power, grim and gritty campaign.

Another alternative I suppose is to keep D&D magic and use the explanation that ICE used in their setting material: truly flashy magic is frowned upon and the disturbance in the Essence attracts the eye of the servants of Sauron. Whether that "servant" is the Necromance of Dol Guldur or the Witch King or still another of the Nine - to be flashy is to be reveal yourself as a power to the Enemy and those who wield a Ring of Power - which include not merely the Three but also the Nine )and the remaining rings of the Dwarves). To be flashy is to be hunted by an Enemy who does not sleep.

The campaign in Southern Middle Earth - ICE's Court of Ardor is a heretical *blast* by the way. I highly recommend that one as a campaign setting. Very fun save the world quest which should be good for a year or two of play in that volume. Again, like nearly all of ICE's stuff - it is set in TA 1640 after the great plague destroyed Osgiliath and left the Kingdom of Gondor a shambles. In the Court of Ardor's case - they are far, far to the South in the jungles below Far Harad. It's Middle Earth in feel and history - sky's the limit on anything else.

driver8

First Post
I dont think this was mentioned ..but try www.merp.com they have a ton of the old ICE stuff, much for download. Theyve also pretty good forums and fan based stuff. A great fan site of a defunct system.

Regardless of what system you end up using, its a nice resource.

mmadsen

First Post
Morrus said:
There was a Middle Earth d20 fan site, but it pretty much died a death due to lack of interest.
I didn't realize that ENWorld had stopped hosting the site.

Anyway, years ago, when the first movie of the trilogy was about to come out, I reread the books and noted how poorly D&D fit the feel of Tolkien's work (at least the Third Age). Here's a scattershot list of suggestions for getting that Middle Earth feel in your campaign (even if you don't want to literally play in Tolkien's Middle Earth, with all the research that might entail):

Call halflings "hobbits", of course. Call goblins "orcs", and give them light sensitivity. Call hobgoblins "Uruk-hai". Call ogres "trolls", and have them turn to stone in sunlight. Stick to red dragons, and just call them "dragons". Treants are obviously "ents".

Eliminate heavy armor (splint, banded, plate, etc.). A warrior wears a hauberk of mail. You may also want to eliminate magical armor. A great warrior should wear mithril mail. Or you can just call magical armor "dwarf-forged", describe it as mithril, and keep the same +n bonus as always.

Eliminate inappropriate weapons. Obviously the wacky weapons should go, but even bastard swords and most pole-arms are probably inappropriate. It's not the Renaissance. Composite bows probably don't fit either. (By the way, I feel that all bows should be "mighty" or "wimpy" to fit their user's strength, not just special "mighty" composite bows.) Masterwork weapons should always be dwarven or elven. Magical swords should have cool elven names and a history. Oh, and they glow when orcs draw near, of course.

Eliminate the arbitrary distinction between divine and arcane magic. Allow wizards to choose spells from any list, but make sure they fit a character conception. For instance, Saruman stuck to enchantments (charm person, etc.); Radagast stuck to nature spells (the Druid list); Gandalf cast all the cool evocations (Sunbeam, Wall of Fire, etc.). I suppose any skills fitting that character conception should be considered class skills (e.g. Diplomacy and Bluff for an enchanter like Saruman, Animal Handling and Riding for Radagast).

Toss out clerics and paladins. Also lose most of the magical healing -- OK, just the "cure" spells really. Most of the healing in the book is performed by trained healers using herbs and still requires plenty of bed rest. The more "magical" healing seems to be restoration of drained levels/abilities from Nazgul attacks.

I'd recommend an alternative magic system where magic fatigues a caster, but you can just use Sorcerer-style spell slots. Casting spells, particularly powerful evocations, should definitely reveal the caster to any other scrying magic-users. This can turn into magical "submarine warfare", with wizards trying not to appear on magical "sonar". In fact, this is a big part of the feel of magic in the Lord of the Rings. Also, I'm not sure if scrolls and most potions fit into Middle Earth.

Come up with a new Ranger class for Aragorn (and his men), Faramir (and his men), Legolas, and the elven sentries of Lothlorien. I suggest a variant Rogue with the Ranger's skill list and bonus feats every other level (a la the Fighter) from a reasonable list (Alertness, the archery feats, the Druid virtual feats, Tracking, etc.).

Give the characters plenty of opportunities to make Knowledge (arcana) or Knowledge (history) rolls to find and open secret doors, to activate magic items, to know whom to seek out for help, etc. Any magic item should have a famous history revealing clues about how to use it.

I think that's a good start.

Remove ads