Midnight 2nd Edition

Naszir

First Post
I'm not sure why people are saying that healing surges wouldn't work in Midnight. From what I can tell healing surges are not magical. It's a game mechanic trying to represent that when an attack is successful you aren't necessarily taking physical damage. It's the abstract nature of the D&D combat system. A majority of your hit points take into account combat endurance, scrapes, bruises, and turning a deadly strike into a minor one.

A healing surge just represents, in a lot of ways to me, that you can get an adreneline rush or catch your breath. A healing surge represents that after a battle is over you can regain some of the endurance you lost and then press on.

I guess this does take some grit away from the Midnight setting though I think if you played it right, healing surges would work fine.

Warlocks would probably become an NPC only class.

I think the biggest problem is the difference in the magic systems. I am not sure how you'd could convert Midnight magic into 4e magic.

You'd have to create the Channeler class and create a new power list. Probably make the class heavily dependent on rituals.

The Barbarian, Fighter, Rogue, and Wildlander would all be somewhat simple to convert.

Erekose

Eternal Champion
johnnype said:
I highly recommend Fury of Shadows. It's gorgeous. All about Erethor and how to make a campaign out of it. It also has a bunch of additional material (maps and such) but that's just gravy. Buy it for the setting material, think of the rest as an added bonus.

I'm also fond of Hammer and Shadow but that has more to do with my enjoyment of dwarven mountain holds. All the dwarves can hope for is a pyrrhic victory at best but that's part of the appeal isn't it?

Sounds great - which is the best supplement for depicting a human-orientated region?

Hstio

First Post
There are three human "regional" books, Star and Shadow (sarcosan south), destiny and shadow (Erenlander central regions), and Honor and Shadow (Dorn north). There are also the two city books from human dominated regions, Forge of Shadow (Dorn city) and Under the Shadow (Erenlander city). I think all five are good books. It depends on where you want to play. If you're going to play the adventure path book (Crown of Shadow), you might want to get Destiny and Under the Shadow since both books are featured in Crown.

My personal preference is for the Dorn territory in the north, but that's just where I've played in the past.

Hstio

Banshee16

First Post
Erekose said:
I'd be interested to hear any comments on how good the various supplements are as they appear to be a mixed bag of "class books", "monster books" and "setting books" with Crown of Shadow as the only "mega" adventure.

My favourites are probably:

Fury of Shadow
Sorcery and Shadow
Steel and Shadow
Legends of Shadow
Destiny and Shadow
Under the Shadow

Banshee

Banshee16

First Post
Erekose said:
Thanks Histio - based on the blurb City of Shadow sounds quite interesting so it's good to know it's actually not very good!

Please can you expand a little on your description of Sorcery and Shadow?

Cheers!

Part of the problem with it is that it's basically a death trap.....even a lvl 20 party can't really go there and do anything except die......I don't want to give away spoilers....but it was written earlier in the setting's life, when the original plan was that Izrador can never be defeated....

Later supplements like Destiny and Shadow say that Izrador likely can't be defeated, but it might be possible to somehow send him retreating to the north again.

They're very different in feel, and many players enjoy the feel of the campaign, but want to feel that there's *some* kind of hope.

At least that's my take on it. City of Shadow is cool to read, but as a gaming supplement it's really hard to use. There is a cool prestige class in it, though....the Lightbringer.

Banshee

Banshee16

First Post
Naszir said:
I'm not sure why people are saying that healing surges wouldn't work in Midnight. From what I can tell healing surges are not magical. It's a game mechanic trying to represent that when an attack is successful you aren't necessarily taking physical damage. It's the abstract nature of the D&D combat system. A majority of your hit points take into account combat endurance, scrapes, bruises, and turning a deadly strike into a minor one.

A healing surge just represents, in a lot of ways to me, that you can get an adreneline rush or catch your breath. A healing surge represents that after a battle is over you can regain some of the endurance you lost and then press on.

I guess this does take some grit away from the Midnight setting though I think if you played it right, healing surges would work fine.

Warlocks would probably become an NPC only class.

I think the biggest problem is the difference in the magic systems. I am not sure how you'd could convert Midnight magic into 4e magic.

You'd have to create the Channeler class and create a new power list. Probably make the class heavily dependent on rituals.

The Barbarian, Fighter, Rogue, and Wildlander would all be somewhat simple to convert.

The healing surges are designed upon different underlying assumptions about how the game will work. That's part of the problem. In Midnight, healing is very hard to get....either you heal naturally, which is *supposed* to take a while, or you heal magically, which requires a channeler, and is very likely to result in a Legate hunting you down, and exterminating your party.

The healing is hard to come by, because the underlying assumption of the game is that the world is against the PCs, and you're *not* supposed to be running into fights, or challenging the servants of Shadow directly, all the time. Healing is rare so that you're faced with the choice.....rescue that peasant woman about to be assaulted by a bunch of orcs, or leave her to her fate, and proceed with your mission, which is getting important information to someone who can use it to strike a larger blow against the shadow. If you save the woman, you might be able to do so.....but now you're wounded, and have to rest....and when those troops don't report in to their officers, a second squad is being sent to investigate, so now you're going to be hunted by fresh troops while your resources are expended. Midnight is very much about hard choices, and *not* fighting if you can avoid it...and the system is designed to enforce that.

I've been running my game for months, and it's quite common for the PCs to be running around at half strength, and the last time they intervened to help a woman fleeing slavers, it almost got the entire party killed.....and they've been hunted since.

4E's healing surges just disrupt that, because whether you figure that they're magical, or simply a "second wind" the end result is that the PCs can get their HP back *relatively* easy. They can afford to get into a fight, knowing that they can get healing afterwards. In Midnight, you generally *don't* know that you can get healed.

You're right about the Channeler. It would need to be entirely redone....it's definitely not a blaster class, so the 4E Wizard would be unsuitable. You might be able to do it somehow with rituals....but how to balance that? I assume it's possible, but it would take work.

As to the others....well, in Midnight, you've got fighters, barbarians and rogues.......and yes, you have Heroic Paths....but largely, PCs are under-equipped, and under trained compared to the soldiers of Shadow. It's the servants of darkness who have the big fighter academies, access to the best weapons etc. The PCs are often farm hands who've picked up a weapon after their village was raided for people to feed a passing orc army or something along those lines...they have access to neither the training, or the equipment that the enemy has. The 4E classes assume that the PCs are the best trained, and the best equipped, and are born heroes from the beginning, correct? Their abilities have been designed to match that play style. Maybe I've misunderstood that aspect.

Much easier to simply use the setting with the system for which it was designed.

Banshee

Last edited:

GMVictory

Explorer
Actually you can reduce the number of healing surges available because of malnutrition, exposure to elements, and exhaustion. Regaining healing surges are difficult while under those conditions as well. Something pretty common in Midnight.

Naszir

First Post
Healing is not quite as hard to come by if you have a PC with the Healer heroic path.

You are correct about the healing surges and how they might affect the overall feel of Midnight but like GMVictory touched upon you can find ways of reducing healing surges through various ways. You could also give the Midnight Classes reduced healing surges to begin with.

Razuur

First Post
Banshee16 said:
Part of the problem with it is that it's basically a death trap.....even a lvl 20 party can't really go there and do anything except die......I don't want to give away spoilers....but it was written earlier in the setting's life, when the original plan was that Izrador can never be defeated....

Later supplements like Destiny and Shadow say that Izrador likely can't be defeated, but it might be possible to somehow send him retreating to the north again.

They're very different in feel, and many players enjoy the feel of the campaign, but want to feel that there's *some* kind of hope.

At least that's my take on it. City of Shadow is cool to read, but as a gaming supplement it's really hard to use. There is a cool prestige class in it, though....the Lightbringer.

Banshee

Of course, when one runs the setting they can do with it what they want. In our Midnight game (True20 ruleset) it is possible to defeat the darkness - but at what cost?

"Let justice be served though the world perish"

Midnight can be played in many ways, including an epic middle-earthian struggle against the dark.

Razuur

Remove ads